Will adding LED increase output? (Newbe)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I was surfing around and to see if they make one with just one board and came across this.

DealExtreme: $31.13 5*Cree Q5 1000-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module (52.7mm*42mm/8.4V Max)

On the 3 Q5 idea it looks like I have to run around 11.1v minimum to let it run healthy correct? The link above seem to built 5 of those onto one unit complete and only needs 8 volts max to run this at 1000lumens? Is this correct? If so I should get this one instead and do less wiring and melting stuff up. (Tell me if this is wrong--Run this on 6 C cell battery=7.2 Volt 5000mAh(not sure how much C battery gives out in mah)= one hour plus power=good?)

So I was surfing around and to see if they make one with just one board and came across this.

DealExtreme: $31.13 5*Cree Q5 1000-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module (52.7mm*42mm/8.4V Max)

On the 3 Q5 idea it looks like I have to run around 11.1v minimum to let it run healthy correct? The link above seem to built 5 of those onto one unit complete and only needs 8 volts max to run this at 1000lumens? Is this correct? If so I should get this one instead and do less wiring and melting stuff up. (Tell me if this is wrong--Run this on 6 C cell battery=7.2 Volt 5000mAh(not sure how much C battery gives out in mah)= one hour plus power=good?)

Looks like a simpler solution to me although I think you'll be better off using something other than alkaline so that you'll get full brightness longer.

With regard to 3 Q5's it really depends upon the drivers you're using. As long as you meet their input voltage requirements you shouldn't have to worry about it too much except with regard to cell size for your run-time.

The drop-in units are spec'd for the input requirements of the driver that they put in, so if you bought the 5 Q5 module as long as you met the input voltage requirements of the driver you should be ok. Cell size, mAh, would also matter with regard to your run-time for the light though which is clearly important in a dive light. If those 5 LEDs were driven at 1A you're looking at almost 20W which could drain your cells pretty quick.

The drop-in units already have a driver that should be capable of driving the unit at the spec'd current. They regulate the current by varying the voltage applied to the LEDs. Often, however, you'll find that the drivers supplied may not provide enough current through the LED to drive the LED at it's max spec'd current. Light may still be plenty bright though.

For the single LED option you can get parts here: http://www.kaidomain.com/FeaturesServices.aspx?FeaturesServiceId=2

That lists some KD stuff for P7 and MC-E LEDs. With the MC-E the M-bin is the brightest one right now with the K-bin right below M.

Here is a SSC P7 C-bin drop-in from dealextreme: DealExtreme: $24.98 SSC P7-C 2800mA LED Module with Copper Base (3.6V~8.4V)

Here is a MC-E K-bin drop in from DX w/ 53 x 43mm reflector:
DealExtreme: $25.50 Cree MC-E LED 3-Mode 410-Lumen Drop-in Module w/Copper Heatsink Base (53mm*43mm)

Here is a MC-E K-bin drop in from DX w/ 26.5mm x 27.5mm reflector:
DealExtreme: $23.23 Cree MC-E LED 3-Mode 410-Lumen Drop-in Module w/Copper Heatsink Base (26.5mm*27.5mm)

You can find a lot of stuff for these lights for DIY on at these sites as well:

http://www.kaidomain.com
BestOfferBuy.com, Buy DVD, Shop for PC accessories, Discount MP3 Players, Bargain Deal for Surveillance Equipment, Cheap R4 for NDS, X-sim Unlock

I looked at doing something similar to what you're planning to do now and found it much less expensive and time-saving just to purchase one of these: DealExtreme: $78.83 Diving Cree SSC-P7-C-SXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight Kit (2*18650/4*CR123A/4*16340)

They also have the MC-E K-bin version:
DealExtreme: $95.00 Diving Cree MC-E (K-WC) 3-Mode 640-Lumen LED Flashlight Kit (2*18650/4*CR123A/4*16340)

I went with the P7 and 4 extra Li-Ion 18650 cells and also bought a D-bin LED mounted on a board from AmiLite LED Flashlight .. he mounted the LED for me since I don't have the equipment to properly mount one on a star board. I have yet to replace the C-bin LED though it's just two wires to unsolder and replace it.

Not necessary to change the LED though. You could do the same with the MC-E and put an M-bin in it if desired or just use as is it's plenty bright. I think more people probably buy the MC-E version of the light. Not sure if you're set on making a canister light though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom