Will drysuit diving suck less soon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceBergSlim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Bought a DUI clx 450 and tried it out today in OW- (Padi Course-Passed). Overall I had no real problems but it does irk me somewhat that I feel like a new cat under the water. As a wetsuit diver I was just starting to feel like a badass...Now I feel like a newbie!. Please tell me your learning curve on Drysuits. I would very much like to attain my previous diver skills with this new gear . What I am most interestend in is how long it took you to feel comfortable again with your Bouyancy. Again, I say that I had no problems with the Dry Suit today. I just wanted some info on other divers experience with the afored mentioned device. My next dry dives will be in a very remote location and therefore I look for whatever advice yall can provide. Thanks in advance, DG

The first couple of dives sucked. After about 5 dives I forgot I was wearing a drysuit. The biggest problem then is remembering not to pee. Keep the faith.

JF

After 5 - 10 dives, I felt like comfortable enough to resume my normal dives. I don't even notice it anymore.

At this point, I only dive wet when I'm someplace tropical.

"keep the advice coming..Wanna love my 3K$ investment.."

Don't worry. You will. Just be patient and don't push it. Learn to use it properly and you'll suddenly be comfortable, and happy.

JF

After 4 dives in my drysuit, it felt like second nature. And part of what helped me was the advice of a friend to add as little gas to the suit as I needed to relieve squeeze. It feels a lot better to not have a big bubble in your suit to manage on the way back up.

I guess I would owe a big thanks to everyone on this board. I just got mine and did 2 training dives in it(less than an hour total) and never skipped a beat. I put the dump valve all the way counter-clockwise then add very little air. Dont even notice a difference except maybe a little more drag. My only concern is I am a little damp when I surface. I cant figure if it is just sweat or if I have a slight leak somwhere. My neck seal seams to be tight and my wrist seals are untouched so they are nice and snug. I am diving in 81 degree water and its 79 at depth (max depth in it so far is 40 ft.) I dove it the first time with shorts and a t-shirt then I tried it with thermals. Sorry for getting off subject by I am excited about my new purchase as well.
Even though I am comfortable enough to resume normal diving I am enjoying taking it slow. The key is to practice every drill known to man in it then go deeper. You need to know how you are going to react to a situation before it arises. Good luck and enjoy doing it dry.

double125's once bubbled...
My only concern is I am a little damp when I surface. I cant figure if it is just sweat or if I have a slight leak somwhere.

If you have a neoprene neck seal and move your head around a lot, you may be letting in a bit of water. With the temperature that warm, you wouldn't notice it.

I've found that with my neoprene neck seal, I'm a little damp, too. Some of it is perspiration pre-dive, some of it is condensation caused by moving from 80 degree 80% humidity to 45 degrees, and some of it is 45 degree salt water that gets let in if I look down too far.

double125's once bubbled...
I am diving in 81 degree water and its 79 at depth (max depth in it so far is 40 ft.) I dove it the first time with shorts and a t-shirt then I tried it with thermals.
Without an UG I would think that you would need to add a bubble of air to the suit to keep from getting permanent suit hickies! :D

Diving a bubble is no good so I can see why you added the thermals... but then how did you stand the heat???

I think I would die of heat exhaustion if I had to live in a place that had air temps in the 80s for very long... much less put on a drysuit and dive in water that hot!

Thanks soggy but mine are latex seals. I guess I am just going to have to dive it some more, Darn. My only problem is finding time to dive it. I am going to try and dive on tues then my nitrox class is on sat. saturday afternoon I should be able to put about 3 hours on it in lake medina (much better than lake amistad). Tuesdays dive I am going to try and take it deep and see the resaults. By deep I am expecting no more than 80 ft. I still cant get out there soon enough.
Sorry if I hijacked your thread:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom