Will Morrison's Quarry be affected ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblelogist:
To came back to the first question, I can't tell now for the Morrisson quarry, but I know that in scuba shop the new regulation is enforced. And one thing really funny in this is that TDI is not recognized by the FQAS (for the moment) and TDI is the owner of the Morrisson quarry. Some friends of mine who have an open water and advanced with PADI and some course with TDI like advances deco will have to get their Padi cards for deep speciality and others to get the C certification, the higher one. Personnaly I don't have my new c-card yet, but I will have to do this soon. Most of the time I dive and fill in Ontario, but if I need to do something here I prefer being covered.

What does one Say

What can I say, I broke down and paid the $ 17.20 ( for 3 years certification - Class B) I enjoy diving at Morrison's Quarry too much. Maybe next year Gaspe... wooohoooo

I am afraid that other provinces may adopt the same policy. We'll have to wait and see.

Safe diving every one .

With what I can see from this board, I think it will only prevent people to dive in Quebec. They just do something to show they do something, and spill everyone's money for nothing...

artw:
if this FQAS program prevents even 1 death then I say the $17.20 is worth it.

That's the beef Artw, it won't.

Every single Empress Death would have proceeded to the end with or without this lame-a$$ excuse for legislation in place.

The only difference would have been their estates would have been $20.00 poorer :-(

I agree with the post just above, it's just gonna stop some of us from diving in Quebec.

Or we'll have to continue to ignore it and dive anyway, when you can.

I'm off for a weekend of diving in the land of the (somewhat)free (Ontario).

Steve

artw:
if this FQAS program prevents even 1 death then I say the $17.20 is worth it.
Not likely to happen. If the issue with divers dying is quality of the skills and instruction in Québec, then this does not address it in an effective fashion. Being evaluated by an instructor who is part of the problem simply by not being able to teach effectively solves nothing. If Québec wanted to deal effectively with this, they should have addressed the issue of lack of training materials in French in the North American diving industry. You solve that by pushing CMAS training as a replacement for PADI or NAUI, since training material is available in French from CMAS. Of course, that means Québec instructors recycling themselves (and many failing), cost to the industry, etc. Much easier to collect a few dollars for a feel-good BS evaluation which means absolutely nothing. Sorry, but some of the Québec-based instructors I see regularly conducting classes at Morrisons are not fit to evaluate my skills. I'll keep on going to the Quarry to work as a DM for the LDS for as long as the LDS goes - that's business. Other than that - I'm not giving a red cent to a rip-off province. They got enough of my tax money when I lived in Gatineau.:m16:

No hostillity here at all.. hehe, eh Tom?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom