Question Will Side Scan Sonar penetrate silt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeesiePie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - originally posted this question in the Underwater Treasures section, but thought I'd ask the pros in case anyone had a different answer :)
If you dropped something overboard (a weapon, a watermelon, a hubcap from a 1957 Chevy) and it settled into 4+ feet of silt, can a SSS penetrate the silt to image it? Or would the silt just reflect back a smooth surface?
I need the info for some research and haven't been able to find the answer elsewhere. The consensus on UT seems to be "nope", but thought I'd check with y'all for your input.

Thanks in advance.

If there was a way to see into the sand/silt for metals, you'd see a lot of that technology being used in the eastern Mediterranean.

Hi all - originally posted this question in the Underwater Treasures section, but thought I'd ask the pros in case anyone had a different answer :)
If you dropped something overboard (a weapon, a watermelon, a hubcap from a 1957 Chevy) and it settled into 4+ feet of silt, can a SSS penetrate the silt to image it? Or would the silt just reflect back a smooth surface?
I need the info for some research and haven't been able to find the answer elsewhere. The consensus on UT seems to be "nope", but thought I'd check with y'all for your input.

Thanks in advance.
Sonar is based on the reflection of sound from surfaces.
It is not ground penetrating radar.

you could get and underwater vehicle with a beefy propeller.... have a few passes close to the bottom, if the silt in question is very fine, the propeller will lift the silt and maybe uncover the object long enough to be detected.
Contact General Dynamics in Boston, they can hook you up for a million or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom