Will the NACD Survive?

Yes, or No ?

• Yes

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never intended to say he was responsible for any of this. I was just listing people that I have respect for. I just did not feel like going through an entire list. Sandy is a great guy and I in no way feel he has any role in this. I can see how my message can be taken that way though.

I feel like expanding my point. Larry was my instructor and mentor, I am very disappointed to see him go this route. Rob is a good guy IMO and just got mixed up in some BS. As I said above, I truly feel Sandy had no dog in this fight. I mentioned his name to show that the NACD still had good guys in the organization.

Reactions: Jax
I was proud when I got my NACD card 11 years ago, proud when I became a lifetime member, and have been proud to see how the NACD Journal has evolved to what it is today. I've always taken my hat off to the volunteers who keep NACD going.

Have I seen problems, sure.

Still, I'm hoping NACD will come thru this stronger, and as a continued leader in safe cave diving. Agree that a lot of people are looking at the issues and proposing solutions, and that it is a good thing.

FWIW, I think there should be a mix of instructors on any dive board, as most I know are committed to the highest quality when it comes to diving, cave or otherwise.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see but I, for one, have great expectations for NACD.

I am a member of NACD. I am a full cave certified diver through NSS/CDS. I got tired of all the politics and bickering with NACD. It cost them a member moving to a different agency for future training. It will survive but it won't grow until they make major changes.
Eventually all the old members will not renew and then the poll question will have to be offered again to this forum. It is always healthy to have good agencies that can and are willing to work together. On my truck I have NACD, NSS/CDS, and IPSA stickers. I am a member of all three. Each has something to offer that the others don't.
Cave Diving is an on going learning process. There has never and will never be an expert on cave diving. Some of the old legends of the sport are no longer with us because they were becoming experts. Complacency is a guarantee course of disaster. Safety is number one in all the agencies. Why not concentrate on that instead of who is who and who can do what. I could care less who is who as long as when I attend a conference or a workshop I will have the opportunity to learn how to become a safer cave diver. My goal is dive safer and better the next dive than I did the last one.

This sport is too technical to have grown people running an agency that are acting like children. Get over it and GROW UP.

I am a member of NACD. I am a full cave certified diver through NSS/CDS. I got tired of all the politics and bickering with NACD. It cost them a member moving to a different agency for future training. It will survive but it won't grow until they make major changes.
Eventually all the old members will not renew and then the poll question will have to be offered again to this forum. It is always healthy to have good agencies that can and are willing to work together. On my truck I have NACD, NSS/CDS, and IPSA stickers. I am a member of all three. Each has something to offer that the others don't.
Cave Diving is an on going learning process. There has never and will never be an expert on cave diving. Some of the old legends of the sport are no longer with us because they were becoming experts. Complacency is a guarantee course of disaster. Safety is number one in all the agencies. Why not concentrate on that instead of who is who and who can do what. I could care less who is who as long as when I attend a conference or a workshop I will have the opportunity to learn how to become a safer cave diver. My goal is dive safer and better the next dive than I did the last one.

This sport is too technical to have grown people running an agency that are acting like children. Get over it and GROW UP.

Good comments. I have been an NACD and CDS member for over 20 years,and scandals have come,gone,then forgotten,but ultimately they are needed,and need our support. 20 years ago it was simple it was NACD and CDS,and you looked to them to provide everything. Now that the sport has been made safer,and more mainstream,it has become profitable for other agencies to move in too. Without the NACD/CDS providing safety with lines/signs and interacting with land owners, this would never occur if left to the "for profit agencies"-look at Eagles Nest issue with the state recently. I attended an advisory panel meeting for a state park,and an advisor for cave diving that was asked to attend was from the CDS,not a "for profit" agency. As long as we have passionate people in the sport,there will always be issues that will arise,heck the CDS was formed because the NACD threw Sheck out,so I have learned not to get too worried,because it will pass,and get back on track.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom