Will you leave the World a better place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People do some terrible things to each other, many times without knowing, although usually provoked.
Some people have that drive to make the world a better place, and some are truly out for their own good. I have my own blend of existential angst that makes me feel my life is pretty pointless if I'm not doing anything for someone else. This summer I'm visiting a cousin in Capetown (S.Africa) and we're going to do some volunteer work for the schools that need so much help down there. And true in a way I get the warm and fuzzy feelings for doing something to benefit others but I don't see it as selfish at all. I see it as my obligation, my rent for living on this planet, to do what I can. Granted I have done my share of things I regret out of anger or ignorance, but I know I've never done anything to intentionally hurt anyone, and I don't plan to, ever.
Cobaltbabe, if you are really serious about volunteering in a third world country, I did a lot of research about that last year.
On another tangent...I'm such a sucker for people in need...in undergrad I was pre-med because I wanted to be a psychatrist and help people, but after my internship, I knew I couldn't handle it, because I would take it all home with me. So I decided to follow the lure of corporate america and although the $ is good and little things you take for granted (like health insurance :)) keep you trapped, there is too much of an "us against them" mentality that is so pervasive. I got out and now I'm a professional mediator, and I feel like I make a difference that way. The work is so rewarding, and I feel like I'm saving people from the legal system.lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom