Williston lodging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JesperS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We're doing a Crystal River manatee snorkel for my son's birthday in early November, and I decided to tack on Blue Grotto and Devil's Den the next day as an added bonus.

I need a place for us to crash for one evening, and lodging options in the area seem limited. Ocala lodging is more varied, but seems to be hard to find a room there that weekend for some reason, plus I'd like to be closer.

So I am looking at one of two options (unless you have a better suggestion): A lodge at Devil's Den, or Williston Motor Inn.

I think the Motor Inn looks kinda fun (60's throwback place), and is close by, and like every other place, has a split of good and bad reviews. I like nice rooms, but I can slum it pretty good, and we really just need a place to spend the night and watch a movie or two on the laptop.

Does anyone have any experience with either place? I'm going to call to find out pricing on the Motor Inn tomorrow, and availability on both placeds for the night that we need.

Plan is to head up after the snorkel, crash, eat an early breakfast, get to Blue Grotto @ opening (read that the training classes muck up the clear water) and Devil's Den after that, then drive back home.

I've stayed at the Williston Motor Lodge several times as it's about the only show in town. It is what it is....a "dive" motel. Personally, I have no problem staying there...but I could sleep on a pile of garbage and be happy. Others that I am usually with, however, not so much. I was up in that area about a year ago and a number of the other divers I was with WOULD NOT step foot in the rooms of the Williston Motor Lodge. Instead, they went 20 miles east and stayed at the Ramada Inn off I-75 and Highway 27. They were happy with that.

On a side note....if you're looking for a good, inexpensive place to eat in Williston, do yourself a favor and go to a place called the "Green Shutter". It's walking distance from the Williston Motor Lodge.

Good luck....

Thanks Voodoo. I went ahead and booked the Motor Inn (it's just too damned close and convenient to pass up). As stated, I can slum it without too much issue...my kid might not be the biggest fan though :D

Unfortunately, the only room they had available was a smoking room (apparently there is a dog show in town that's occupying all the rooms), so I guess I'll bring a bottle of febreeze and our own pillows at the very least. And we'll hit the Green Shutter for dinner, thanks for the recommendation!

I have to say the Williston Motor Inn is the worst place I have ever stayed. I've stayed in third world accomodations that were nicer. The room was dirty and smelled (and we had a non-smoking room), the furniture was probably from when the place was built 50 years ago, the front desk clerk gave me a TV remote out of a drawer in the office that would not operate the TV. The faucet didn't drip, it actually ran slowly and couldn't be shut off. We ended up using the valve under the sink to shut it off, but worried it would come off in our hand because it was so corroded.

The front desk clerk was obviously a racist as well. I had reserved one room for my fiance and I to share with another couple (the girls were doing their certification dives both Saturday/Sunday). When I went into the office to check in the clerk told me they had reserved two rooms for me so they had an extra room that would be unoccupied. As I was registering a nicely dressed black woman came into the office and asked if there were any rooms available. The clerk told her no and she turned and left. I inquired why she couldn't have the room that we didn't need and he just shrugged his shoulders and grunted. I'm middle age, white and grew up in the south, but damn it.....let's all just learn to get along.

If I were you I'd just stay in Crystal River. It's really not a long drive to Williston. I go to Crystal River to dive and the route from Jacksonville takes me right through Williston. We stay at the Best Western and they are great. Boat ramp, slips and dive shop on site, recently remodeled rooms and easy walking distance to some nice waterfront restaurants. Swimming with the manatees is a blast. Wear brightly colored bathing suits. I wear orange and the manatees come to me like a magnet.

Devils Den is a neat place to dive given that you have to descend into an unground cavern to enter the water. But Blue Grotto is the pits. It's the closest thing to diving in a muddy ditch you'll ever experience (if you go on the weekend). The dive instructors around north and central Florida descend on Blue Grotto on the weekend and all of the inexperienced divers usually have the water stirred up by about 10 AM.

Have fun!

There are a lot of places at the Williston exit of I-75: Voodo mentioned that the highway hotels are 20 miles away, so it only takes 20 minutes to get to Williston in the AM. Last time I was in the area, the Williston Inn was sold out so we had no choice but to use one of the hotels at the highway exit. Based on the reviews above, I'm not so sorry that I missed the opportunity to stay there. Let us know what you think of the place since it seems as if you already booked a room.

I have to say the Williston Motor Inn is the worst place I have ever stayed. I've stayed in third world accomodations that were nicer. The room was dirty and smelled (and we had a non-smoking room), the furniture was probably from when the place was built 50 years ago, the front desk clerk gave me a TV remote out of a drawer in the office that would not operate the TV. The faucet didn't drip, it actually ran slowly and couldn't be shut off. We ended up using the valve under the sink to shut it off, but worried it would come off in our hand because it was so corroded.

I'd probably be just fine, but yeah, my kid would probably have issues with this, he's a little prissier than me. :p

The front desk clerk was obviously a racist as well. I had reserved one room for my fiance and I to share with another couple (the girls were doing their certification dives both Saturday/Sunday). When I went into the office to check in the clerk told me they had reserved two rooms for me so they had an extra room that would be unoccupied. As I was registering a nicely dressed black woman came into the office and asked if there were any rooms available. The clerk told her no and she turned and left. I inquired why she couldn't have the room that we didn't need and he just shrugged his shoulders and grunted. I'm middle age, white and grew up in the south, but damn it.....let's all just learn to get along.

Now that's just ****ty, and one of the few things I dread about going up to cave country. In FL, the further north you go, the further south you're actually going.

If I were you I'd just stay in Crystal River. It's really not a long drive to Williston. I go to Crystal River to dive and the route from Jacksonville takes me right through Williston. We stay at the Best Western and they are great. Boat ramp, slips and dive shop on site, recently remodeled rooms and easy walking distance to some nice waterfront restaurants. Swimming with the manatees is a blast. Wear brightly colored bathing suits. I wear orange and the manatees come to me like a magnet.

It's almost an hour drive, which is longer than I'd want. But the 20 mins or so to Ocala is doable. Wouldn't work this particular weekend as there's a dogshow, but in general. I've got yellow on my wetsuit, so hopefully that is good enough. My dad says he don't need no stinkin wetsuit.

Devils Den is a neat place to dive given that you have to descend into an unground cavern to enter the water. But Blue Grotto is the pits. It's the closest thing to diving in a muddy ditch you'll ever experience (if you go on the weekend). The dive instructors around north and central Florida descend on Blue Grotto on the weekend and all of the inexperienced divers usually have the water stirred up by about 10 AM.

Have fun!

The plan was to do BG first and at open time before any other divers, then the den after. I called earlier tonight and cancelled our room reservation though, as work has made it impossible for me to take off for the weekend, so we're going to have to be satisfied with the manatee snorkel excursion. Thanks for the hotel info though.

There are a lot of places at the Williston exit of I-75: Voodo mentioned that the highway hotels are 20 miles away, so it only takes 20 minutes to get to Williston in the AM. Last time I was in the area, the Williston Inn was sold out so we had no choice but to use one of the hotels at the highway exit. Based on the reviews above, I'm not so sorry that I missed the opportunity to stay there. Let us know what you think of the place since it seems as if you already booked a room.

Room is cancelled, but any hotels in the area are welcomed, all the ones I checked nearby were booked full for the first November weekend, and that was at least four hotels.

Ah well...work is more fun than diving...and by fun I mean kill me now and put me out of my misery.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom