Wilmington Incident - 16 Oct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always required [Solo SCUBA diver trainee] divers as part of their training to conduct a free dive and measured the max depth they reach (while I'm on Scuba.) I then 2X this depth and list it on their submission form.... It makes perfect sense.

By limiting depth to 2X a free dive, the likelihood of such an ascent [OOA while SCUBA diving] being successful - doubles.

I don't understand this - could you explain it further?

Thank you,
Blue Sparkle

To Amy's kids Johnnyboy and Kailee I truly wish there was something that could be done to
ease your pain your mother was the best of the best in the dive industry

First of all It would be nice to stay on topic which was the death of a diver
Second all of you think that just because someone was in the dive industry that the
diver was experienced Amy was not. She was barely an AOW diver and last I heard was not
even Nitrox certified. I understand Amy was not diving with a pony bottle. One of the requirements
on those Shark Tooth Dives always made by Amy and her Husband John was that everyone
had an alternate source of air. Amy was diving with her husband that day was he too interested
in finding teeth than making sure his wife made it back to the boat OK. I have been on many
tooth dives with OBD and it seemed that the main concern of Capt. Johnny was "I need to get teeth"
I am not putting any blame anywhere but I think the the whole affair needs to be investigated in depth

To Amy's kids Johnnyboy and Kailee I truly wish there was something that could be done to

Second all of you think that just because someone was in the dive industry that the
diver was experienced Amy was not. She was barely an AOW diver and last I heard was not
even Nitrox certified. I understand Amy was not diving with a pony bottle. One of the requirements
on those Shark Tooth Dives always made by Amy and her Husband John was that everyone
had an alternate source of air. Amy was diving with her husband that day was he too interested
in finding teeth than making sure his wife made it back to the boat OK. I have been on many
tooth dives with OBD and it seemed that the main concern of Capt. Johnny was "I need to get teeth"
I am not putting any blame anywhere but I think the the whole affair needs to be investigated in depth

Seriously, she was not experienced? She helped run a dive shop and was not expereinced in diving? Certainly possible, but would be unusual.

As for her certification, in all honesty that is in some cases meaningless. People can learn by doing and watching without gaining formal certification. When i am talking with a prospective dive buddy, the topic of certification hardly ever comes up, it is always centered on experience and "qualification".

As for the comments about her husband....If they were diving alone, then they were diving alone...That may well be a choice that BOTH of them made.

As for the decision by a dive shop owner not to carry some redundancy on a 100+ ft dive... well that is a COMMON practice...in my opinion it is unwise, but it is none the less common in recreational dive circles.

Wow, I understand you are upset but you sure seem to be making some disturbing accusations.

Given that this is fossilquest's first post, perhaps s/he does not understand that every diver is responsible for his/her -self.

Given that this is fossilquest's first post, perhaps s/he does not understand that every diver is responsible for his/her -self.

And maybe s/he has an agenda?

And maybe s/he has an agenda?

Perhaps, but I prefer to give the grieving family and friends the benefit of the doubt.

One of the phases of the cycle of grief is anger, and often with blamestorming. The "if only" preys on the mind and the heart, and causes otherwise good people to levy unreasonable accusations and hurtful statements.

One of the phases of the cycle of grief is anger, and often with blamestorming. The "if only" preys on the mind and the heart, and causes otherwise good people to levy unreasonable accusations and hurtful statements.

Your right +++1

I don't know how many folks these speculative threads have saved, but I know for sure they have saved at least one. I am grateful beyond words for this board in general and this particular sub-forum specifically.

Nice post! And yep, here's a viewer waving her hand. I've lost count of how many times the Accidents & Incidents forum has helped me (or my buddy) avoid a bad situation & in at least one case, a situation that could have been fatal. I too, am very grateful for this forum.

Seriously, she was not experienced? She helped run a dive shop and was not expereinced in diving?

These are good questions. Can someone please shed some light on this.

I had met Amy several times and had the impression that she was an experienced diver but I have no actual knowledge of her experience level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom