Wind speed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just looking at a 10-day weather forecast for Coz which showed a day with wind speed of 19 km/hr from the southeast. Would this be enough to put a stop to the diving? If not, what wind speed would?

It always depends upon the boats and equipment that you are accessing as well as your abilities and stomach.

Weather forecasting tip: When arctic cold pushes as far South as Texas, weather from Coz > Belize > Bay Islands is going to turn to puppy poop. It's called a "Norther". Count on it.

Oh well, I qualified in 65* water with visibility about 5 feet. I guess I could handle the puppy poop if I had to. Once you're there you do what you have to do.

I like your attitude, but watch out for the boat ladders... and many other new experiences that tend to magnify and multiply when they're layered atop one another.

Even pretty fish-warm water diving can have it's challenges. It can start at the docks with boat awareness as to how to come aboard a pitching craft, it can be all about "surviving" a wild ride to the dive site- not only your stomach but managing your gear and suiting up.

Exiting a rocking boat can be exciting, learning the three-point contact rule is a key to survival... taking precise instructions from the boatsman as to when and where to move is also part of the puzzle.

Knowing to hang off the tag line, or how to follow the john line to the anchor (downline) is an acquired skill.

The same with reboarding the boat- and this is where most people learn the hardest lessons. Watch above you for the plunging ladder as the boat slams down and gets tossed high upon wave. Don't get your skull punctured or neck broken in that moment. Understand how to gauge the moment, hang on and go for that upward ride!

Watch your fingers where the ladder hinges to the boat. Did you study the hand holds before you jumped in? Hand the flippers up if that's the drill.

When you reboard, stay low, mainain 3 point contact and sit down quickly. Keep your second stage reg in your mouth until seated. There might only be one good reason to do this, but there are absolutely NO good reasons not to.

Lots to learn, even for us rough and tumble cold water muck divers.

Go, have fun. If it's too rough, let me teach you four new words in Espanol:

Cerveza (Sir-Vase-ahh Fria, (Free-ahh) Por (pore) Favor (Fah-Vore)

Doc: I don't drink beer but thanks for the offer. I got a pretty good lesson on reboarding the boat a few weeks ago diving the Speigle Grove down Key Largo. We had both large waves and strong currents. Had to go down the buoy line hand over hand and head first till we got out of the current. The youngie who I was buddied up with slipped one hand on the ladder and ended up about half knocked out and a bloodied nose. What I do is grab the granny line and take a look at what the ladder is doing then hand up my fins and judge when to grab the ladder while it is down. I get my knees on the available rung and let the boat lift me up. Then get my feet on the next rung down and stand up when the ladder bottoms out. After that it is the struggle on board. It's tough on us old birds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom