Windows MovieMaker Resolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Osos (San Luis Obispo County) California
# of dives
500 - 999
I've used Windows MovieMaker for editing movies for Websites, and I like the simlicity of the program. I recently decided to use it to edit a movie that I planned to burn on a DVD for viewing on a regular TV.

Despite several attempts to change the quality of the picture and the size of the file to be rendered, I was NOT able to get a descent picture.

I switched to Adobe Premiere, and the picture quality turned out MUCH better.

Is there something I missed, or is Windows Movie Maker designed mainly for low-resolution movies?

First, I don't pretend to be an expert

I use Windows Movie Maker (2) but as far as I'm aware it doesn't have a burn to DVD function only to Video CD. I suspect (although I wait to be corrected) that the compression used to burn to Video CD is such that the quality deteriorates.

Personally I take my completed video back out to tape on the camcorder at AVI quality and then burn it to DVD by connecting to a domestic DVD recorder using the S Video connection.

This seems to get me the best quality for watching on my TV although it does add a few steps into the process

If it is outputting to VCD then that's the problem. VCD = mpeg1 = VCR quality, while DVD = mpeg2 = DVD quality - obviously! :)

Get a Mac. iMovie + iDVD (both included free) = great films, at any quality up to HiDef (should you have a HD DVD burner lying around). A bottom of the line Mini (~$500) will give you far better results than you will ever get out of MovieMaker... and treat you life with a better OS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom