Wing and backplate...Can someone please explain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSS plates are pretty darned easy to adjust, too.

They have some kind of "plastic" lining on the lower slots that keep the webbing in place, but allow it to be adjusted without the need for dealing with slides on the backside of the plate.

Some systems are easier to adjust than others. Halcyon's new cinch-strap system is a breeze to adjust ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

+1 on the Halcyon Cinch. Gideon was using it during my Fundies class and a few of my dive buddies in Oahu used it. Very nice system and super adjustable.

DSS plates are pretty darned easy to adjust, too.

They have some kind of "plastic" lining on the lower slots that keep the webbing in place, but allow it to be adjusted without the need for dealing with slides on the backside of the plate.

I have a DSS plate with the molded-in webbing keepers as well as a no-name AL plate without but I don't use tri-glides on the backside of the plate; never had an issue with my harness slipping, even when carrying doubles.

Peace,
Greg

What is served by asking such a question in this thread?

Are there no threads that discuss the pro's and con's of various BC types?

The OP asked for an explanation of BP&W's, not a debate on the relative merits.

Tobin

Well, the OP did say in part:

,,,I am looking into a wing and backplate setup in place of a traditional bc. But I am completely clueless…

So it seemed to me that a balanced discussion might be appropriate.

I'm sorry if I stomped on your sensibilities Tobin, but now that I realize you sell Back Plates and Wings, I can understand your pique.

I'm sorry if I stomped on your sensibilities Tobin, but now that I realize you sell Back Plates and Wings, I can understand your pique.

No pique on my part.:wink:

What OP did *not* ask was "Please compare and contrast BC's and BP&W's"

The op asked for help understanding BP&W's

Is there some sudden lack "What are the pro's and con's of BP&W's" threads you could direct the OP to, if you are genuinely worried he *might* not be fully informed?

I have grown weary of threads that start with a legitimate question being hyjacked into serving only those looking for a pointless fight.

Tobin

Last edited:

You've been on this forum long enough to know exactly what you were trying to start with your post. :no:

Reactions: Jax
:popcorn: Here we go...

Another question: Will any harness work with any backplate? Are all backplates created equal? (Looks like a piece of metal to me...)

yes, pretty much any harness will work with any backplate. *but* not every wing will work straight onto every backplate if you're holding them together with cam straps. the addition of an sta helps there.

and backplates are basically equal. some have better finish, or a slightly deeper/shallower bend, or holes along the sides, but they all should have the same hole spacing for the sta or doubles bands, and they all do essentially the same job even if they're different materials.

They weren't meant for everybody to be able to use the same plate. You set YOUR gear to fit YOU. That's all the adjustment you should ever need.

That's not entirely true. I own several backplate systems. As an independent instructor it's cheaper for me to use them for students because I don't have to keep several different sizes in stock. I can instead just adjust the harness for the particular student. It takes all of two or three minutes to get it just right, which isn't an onerous task at all.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's not entirely true. I own several backplate systems. As an independent instructor it's cheaper for me to use them for students because I don't have to keep several different sizes in stock. I can instead just adjust the harness for the particular student. It takes all of two or three minutes to get it just right, which isn't an onerous task at all.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, but your role as instructor is different from most divers. Most people only need the gear to fit them and nobody else. Yes, adjusting waist tabs doesn't take long. I do applaud you for having students diving in BPs, I think new divers should always be aware of differing types of gear.

Yes, but your role as instructor is different from most divers. Most people only need the gear to fit them and nobody else. Yes, adjusting waist tabs doesn't take long. I do applaud you for having students diving in BPs, I think new divers should always be aware of differing types of gear.

Dude, I've lent out my gear plenty of times for others to try out. I just happen to have acquired 2 different backplate setups and enjoy the flexibility that having 2 completely redundant setups allows me. There have been several situations where that has come in handy, including a 3-tank boat dive where we rocked doubles for the first 2 dives then single AL80s on the third. While my dive buddy was having to deal with STA bolts and stuff for his rig I just pulled out my steel plate (I use an AL plate with doubles) and put it onto the tank, transferred a few things from my doubles setup to my singles rig, and spent the rest of the surface interval stuffing my face with cookies while he was still screwing around with his setup. :D

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom