Wing choice with Large camera rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeremyFXDWG

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the 17lb torus and the 26lb torus wing. I dive with a fairly large camera rig. Lets say worst case scenario is 5lbs negative.

This will be my warm water rig only. I usually only dive with a 2mm neopreen rash guard and swim trunks. I have been diving with a XL Scubapro Knighthawk BC with 8lbs of weight added in a typical tropical situation. This BC seems to be extremely buoyant though. I will be diving AL80s, a typical regulator setup (no light-weight Ti stuff), negative buoyant jet fins with spring straps and a 5lb negative camera (about 18lbs fully decked out on the surface).

I already have a DSS kydex long BP with a transplate harness (Tobin.. I know... but its comfy) and a 26lb torus but have no issue going to a 17lb torus if it is the right choice. I am just after the optimal setup. I am just concerned about the heavy camera and if the seas kick up.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I am trying to decide between the 17lb torus and the 26lb torus wing. I dive with a fairly large camera rig. Lets say worst case scenario is 5lbs negative.

This will be my warm water rig only. I usually only dive with a 2mm neopreen rash guard and swim trunks. I have been diving with a XL Scubapro Knighthawk BC with 8lbs of weight added in a typical tropical situation. This BC seems to be extremely buoyant though. I will be diving AL80s, a typical regulator setup (no light-weight Ti stuff), negative buoyant jet fins with spring straps and a 5lb negative camera (about 18lbs fully decked out on the surface).

I already have a DSS kydex long BP with a transplate harness (Tobin.. I know... but its comfy) and a 26lb torus but have no issue going to a 17lb torus if it is the right choice. I am just after the optimal setup. I am just concerned about the heavy camera and if the seas kick up.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Id suggest adding buoyancy to the camera. -5 lbs is a lot.

Having said that let's look at your wing requirements will be with and without the camera.

You are currently using about 10 lbs of total ballast, 8 lbs of lead and 2 lbs of regulator. I'd estimate 4-5 lbs of this is required to offset the inherent buoyancy of the BC, 4 to offset the buoyant al 80, and 1-2 for your 2mm skin.

Without the inherently buoyant BC you will need about 6 lbs of ballast total. A LP pattern plate is about -7 lbs and your reg is -2 lbs., or about 9 lbs total. You are a bit over weighted.

Your rig, with a full tank will be about -15 lbs (9 lbs of ballast + 6 lbs of gas)

A 17 would be **just** enough

When you add the camera you go from -15 to -20 and the 17 is now clearly too small.
A LCD 20 *might* work, but is again very close to being too small.

My choice would be the Torus 26.

Tobin

Tobin - ask always thanks for the quick reply. I think you used -7 for the BP but i think that may be the stainless plate. I have the kydex so that would put back about 5lbs?? So I think I maybe be back near the 17lb (-15) wing. I may just stick with the 26 just to have a little wiggle room.

I rarely dive the camera that negative. It means I have everything on it at once (focus light, wide angle.. etc) but I love the photography and didn't want the wing to limit my camera gear choices... I don't know how much size difference there is between the 26 and 17 but I am not exactly streamlined so a diet might reduce my drag more than the smaller wing :).

In a month or 2 I will be calling for a full cold water rig with the Stainless BP. I do love the stuff you make.

JP

Tobin - ask always thanks for the quick reply. I think you used -7 for the BP but i think that may be the stainless plate. I have the kydex so that would put back about 5lbs?? So I think I maybe be back near the 17lb (-15) wing. I may just stick with the 26 just to have a little wiggle room.

I rarely dive the camera that negative. It means I have everything on it at once (focus light, wide angle.. etc) but I love the photography and didn't want the wing to limit my camera gear choices... I don't know how much size difference there is between the 26 and 17 but I am not exactly streamlined so a diet might reduce my drag more than the smaller wing :).

In a month or 2 I will be calling for a full cold water rig with the Stainless BP. I do love the stuff you make.

JP

JP,

You are correct, I missed the kydex plate. I'm happy to hear that, as the SS plate leaves you over weighted without the camera.

With a LP Kydex plate, full al 80 and reg your rig will be about - 7~8 lbs. The 17 works fine. Add a -5 lbs camera and the rig still floats.

Tobin

FWIW, you may want to get your rig closer to neutral, rather than compensate for it with a wing.

While I agree that the correct solution to being over weighted is never a larger wing,

however..........

With a 2mm "skin" and a buoyant al 80 JP will need about 5-6 lbs of ballast.

A Kydex plate and harness is about -3 and his reg will be ~-2 lbs.

How much closer to neutral does he need to be?

The camera is ditchable...............

Tobin

While I agree that the correct solution to being over weighted is never a larger wing,

however..........

With a 2mm "skin" and a buoyant al 80 JP will need about 5-6 lbs of ballast.

A Kydex plate and harness is about -3 and his reg will be ~-2 lbs.

How much closer to neutral does he need to be?

The camera is ditchable...............

Tobin

It's a pain in the butt swimming around carrying five pounds, and it messes up your trim when you move it around during normal use. If you make it neutral, or slightly negative, these go away.

It's a pain in the butt swimming around carrying five pounds, and it messes up your trim when you move it around during normal use. If you make it neutral, or slightly negative, these go away.

The diver is properly weighted, his camera is not.

I recommend adding buoyancy to his camera in my first post...........

Id suggest adding buoyancy to the camera. -5 lbs is a lot.

Tobin

The diver is properly weighted, his camera is not.

I recommend adding buoyancy to his camera in my first post...........

Tobin

So did I.

My camera is usually only slightly negative. I was taking worst case senario. Ie. focus light, both WA and close-up lens, 2 sets of strobe arms, couple clips to clip off the camera, mount for the lenses.. etc. It don't ever dive that way but I don't want to remove the option and I don't feel like bringing float arms for when I do.

The 17 seems like it will work "worst case" thus the 17 should be ideal the way I normal shoot (maybe 1 - 2 lbs negative camera).

Thanks again Tobin.

JP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom