Wing Confusion for singles..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernShrinkage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
What am I missing here why are Singles wings more money than those with higher lift capacity designed for doubles?

I recently picked up an Apeks WTX harness with the soul purpose of using it for my doubles . But after Rigging it and diving it I have come to like it much more than my Zeagle tech (only used for singles) So now I am looking to pickup a singles wing and a sta for it . But after much research on pricing the singles price Baffles me I can pickup a new name brand wing in the 55to 70 lift capacity for in most cases 100 dollars less than one in the 30-45 range.

NorthernShrinkage:
What am I missing here why are Singles wings more money than those with higher lift capacity designed for doubles?

I recently picked up an Apeks WTX harness with the soul purpose of using it for my doubles . But after Rigging it and diving it I have come to like it much more than my Zeagle tech (only used for singles) So now I am looking to pickup a singles wing and a sta for it . But after much research on pricing the singles price Baffles me I can pickup a new name brand wing in the 55to 70 lift capacity for in most cases 100 dollars less than one in the 30-45 range.

Buy wing based on $$/ lbs of lift will not result in a bargain. Fortunately there is some current recognition that huge wings are not really the best answer. Most people are using BC or wings that have considerably more lift than necessary.

All things being equal using the smallest wing that meets the two following criteria will result in the best performance in the water;

1. You need enough lift to be able to float your rig when it is at it's heaviest, i.e. with a full cylinder. Your "rig" is every that remains attached to your wing if you ditch it. Typically that's the cylinder, backplate, regulator, can light and any other ballast you have on the plate or harness.

2. The second criteria is enough wing lift to be able to Compensate for the change in buoyancy of your exposure suit. Your exposure suit cannot loose more buoyancy than it starts with. If your wetsuit is say + 18 lbs, then it cannot loose more than 18 lbs of buoyancy.

Let's look at an example. I'll need to make assumptions, you will need to use your own data.

Part 1

Tank AL 80 -2 lbs when full
SS Plate & Harness -6
Single Reg -2
No other ballast

Maximum negative buoyancy of rig ~-10 lbs. To float your rig you need at least 10 lbs of lift.

Part 2

Full 5 mm wetsuit. Roll it up, throw it in the pool and add lead until it just sinks, weigh the bag o lead....lets assume it takes 18 lbs of lead.

You need ~18 lbs of lift to be able to compensate for a fully compressed wetsuit.

18 > 10 so your suit will dictate the minimum required wing lift.

The diver in this example would need need something around 20-26 lbs.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom