Wing drying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is *zero* reason to remove any of the fittings from wings.

False, there are at least three. One, to ensure you haven't built up sand, grit, and/or salt that can prevent your OPV from seating properly. Two, to clean and very lightly lubricate that rubber OPV seat. Three, to replace the standard junky OPV found on many wings with one of DSS's fine OPVs :D

False, there are at least three. One, to ensure you haven't built up sand, grit, and/or salt that can prevent your OPV from seating properly. Two, to clean and very lightly lubricate that rubber OPV seat. Three, to replace the standard junky OPV found on many wings with one of DSS's fine OPVs :D

Flushing a OPV is sufficient to remove any contaminates, soft seats require *no* lubrication to function properly. Unnecessary application of lubricants on scuba gear is a sure way to attract sand and grit and other contaminates.

The vast majority of wing problems we have reported are directly the result of unnecessary removal of fittings, lost sealing components and incorrect reassembly.

I will remind you that we are in the DSS forum, the goods in question were designed and manufactured by me, and I am responsible for the customer service of the same.

Tobin

... Leave the fittings alone, ...

They loosen. At least mine do. I don't leave anything alone and assume that it won't fail.

If it is beyond my capabilities, such as my regs, then I give them to someone I trust for needed attention. I used to leave my wings alone, no longer. A tiny bit of the proper lubricant Lubriplate L0040-001 115 Grease on the threads will prevent galling. Not over-tightening (anything) is just a skill that any diver needs to know.

Is this counter to what is dictated by this forum?

There is *zero* reason to remove any of the fittings from wings. You won't ever get all the water out and you *greatly* increase the chances of losing parts of the fittings, pinching or rolling the sealing grommet or even breaking the fittings from over torquing them on reassembly.

Leave the fittings alone, blow what water you can and inflate the wing ~50-90% for storage.

Tobin

I learned this the hard way with my previous BC as an O ring fell out unbeknownst to me and the BC would not hold air. DSS sell a connector that allow flushing with a garden hose.

There was a case I read some time ago of a diver getting a fungal lung infection after breathing from a BC, so every few dives it's a good idea to swish some anti bacterial/anti fungal disinfectant into to the wing and rinse out afterwards.

They loosen. At least mine do. I don't leave anything alone and assume that it won't fail.

If it is beyond my capabilities, such as my regs, then I give them to someone I trust for needed attention. I used to leave my wings alone, no longer. A tiny bit of the proper lubricant Lubriplate L0040-001 115 Grease on the threads will prevent galling. Not over-tightening (anything) is just a skill that any diver needs to know.

Is this counter to what is dictated by this forum?

Please tell me how you get Acetal to gall on Acetal? Acetal (delrin) is a natural bearing material, often used in fairly high PV applications with no lubrication.

All DSS threaded wing fittings are Acetal.

Once more I will point out that this is the DSS forum. If you insist on providing your personal thoughts regarding wing maintenance please do so somewhere other than the DSS forum.

Tobin

Please tell me how you get Acetal to gall on Acetal? Acetal (delrin) is a natural bearing material, often used in fairly high PV applications with no lubrication.

All DSS threaded wing fittings are Acetal.

Ok, let's overlook the far more important point of leaving the fitting alone and focus on "galling". Acetal is quite sensitive to oxidation and chlorine. This is why I use a thin water occlusive film of antioxidant lubricant. It makes tightening the parts smoother and provides protection.

...//... Once more I will point out that this is the DSS forum. If you insist on providing your personal thoughts regarding wing maintenance please do so somewhere other than the DSS forum.

Tobin

Your pool, your party, your choice. Sorry, gone.

I will remind you that we are in the DSS forum, the goods in question were designed and manufactured by me, and I am responsible for the customer service of the same.

Tobin

Thank you for reminding me why the only DSS product I'll hold my nose and buy are your OPVs, Tobin. Not that I needed much reminding after the hole you dug yourself over on RBW in regards to comparative quality in scooters/batteries.

It's your forum, do what you like. I know how to take care of my gear, regardless of who built it.

Thank you for reminding me why the only DSS product I'll hold my nose and buy are your OPVs, Tobin. Not that I needed much reminding after the hole you dug yourself over on RBW in regards to comparative quality in scooters/batteries.

It's your forum, do what you like. I know how to take care of my gear, regardless of who built it.

Treat your gear anyway you want to. Feel free to say what ever you wish in *Public* forums.

You did not participate in the design, prototyping or manufacture of any DSS equipment.

You have zero experience resolving the real issues that do arise in the field, yet you are sufficiently arrogant tell me my advice to my customers is "false" I find that simply amazing.

In the DSS forum my customers have an expectation that they will get the correct answer from somebody who:

Designed the Gear

Build the Gear

Has seen the various Issues that arise with *DSS* gear.

Once again I'll ask you and others to refrain from offering advice in the DSS forum.

Tobin

Treat your gear anyway you want to. Feel free to say what ever you wish in *Public* forums.

You did not participate in the design, prototyping or manufacture of any DSS equipment.

You have zero experience resolving the real issues that do arise in the field, yet you are sufficiently arrogant tell me my advice to my customers is "false" I find that simply amazing.

In the DSS forum my customers have an expectation that they will get the correct answer from somebody who:

Designed the Gear

Build the Gear

Has seen the various Issues that arise with *DSS* gear.

Once again I'll ask you and others to refrain from offering advice in the DSS forum.

Tobin

Since I'm neither giving you my opinion nor offering advice, the following won't be a problem for the DSS forum: I am completely unamazed that you think your having built a product means you are the one with the most (only, apparently) experience in its use "in the field." You have a real nice day now.

Since I'm neither giving you my opinion nor offering advice, the following won't be a problem for the DSS forum: I am completely unamazed that you think your having built a product means you are the one with the most (only, apparently) experience in its use "in the field." You have a real nice day now.

When you claim my statements about how to use DSS gear are false you are most certainly offering an opinion.

Are you suggesting that you have more experience with DSS gear than I do?

I have Moderator Powers within this forum. Providing bad information to my customers is certainly enough reason for me to delete your posts.

I've repeatedly asked you to refrain from offering advice in the DSS forums. Keep it up and your posts will be deleted, and I will report your actions to the site moderators.

You are exactly why most manufacturers avoid participating in forums as much as possible.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom