Wing for double Al80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What type of lift should I be looking for in a wing if I'm looking to double a pair of Al80's (wetsuit diver)? 40lbs?
Thanks,
Jason

Jason B:
What type of lift should I be looking for in a wing if I'm looking to double a pair of Al80's (wetsuit diver)? 40lbs?
Thanks,
Jason

40 would probably be enough, but why limit yourself on a fairly big ticket dive item? You'll see little difference between a 40 and 55 lb (size or price) doubles wing, and the 55 would be good for steels and a drysuit.

MD

why limit yourself on a fairly big ticket dive item? You'll see little difference between a 40 and 55 lb (size or price) doubles wing,
That's why I asked you guys:wink:.
Thanks for the reply.

Jason

I use a 45 lb lift wing when diving double 104s in a cave*. 40 should be more than enough for AL80s.

*45 is barely enough for 104s, which is fine for a cave, but I'd use more for 104s in open water.

Roak

Jason B:
Thanks,
Jason

I use double AL 80's with a SS back plate and a 59lb wing. I opted for more lift than necessary for when/if I decide to use larger steels.

--Matt

So what wing is everyone using? I was leaning towards the halcyon simply because I already use one of their wings for singles (pioneer 36).
All the Dive Rites seem to have some weird gusset control thingy?
Oxycheq is another thought.

Jason

I have Halcyons. From the looks of it Oxycheq would be a good option as well (make sure you get the short hose option). Personally I don't like the looks of the DR and OMS wings...

Roak

First IMHO if I were you I would opt for a 55lb or 60lb wing. As you grow your diving they will provide enough lift with stages or Deco bottles.

I use the DR classic for back mounting and have had 5 stages with Faber 108's as back mount with out using my dry suit. The profile is nice around the tanks and the centered inflator fits between the tanks nicely. Not to say the others are any better or worse but I tend to stick with what works for me unless I find a solid reason to change. If you are using PST's then you can not carry as many stages compared with the Fabers. Just what I have found with what I have. Good luck with your set up.

Bobby

I'd also vote for the 55# wing. I have a 40# wing for double 80s that I got 'cause I got a deal, but I also dive dry. When I was making the decision, everyone I talked to said I'd like the 40# better but the 55# will be fine. I'm not sure how it'd be with the compression of a thick wetsuit though. Like MechDiver said, a 55#'ll be fine; and most likely more useful in the future. I'd probably only consider a 40# if you primarily dive thin wetsuits and don't have any plans on changing from that.

Jason B:
So what wing is everyone using? I was leaning towards the halcyon simply because I already use one of their wings for singles (pioneer 36).
All the Dive Rites seem to have some weird gusset control thingy?
Oxycheq is another thought.

Jason

I use the Dive Rite SS BP and Classic Wing. No gusset control on my rig.

--Matt

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom