Wing Size Recommendations? :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnyaPetrova

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello!

I'm a very new diver, and looking to buy my own gear. I've had a hard time finding standard BCs that fit, and love the idea of the simple and intuitive bp/w combo (I've spent a few too many hours researching, hehe). I'm a little at a loss as to what exactly to order from DSS though (mostly regarding the wings) and would be totally grateful for any help :wink:

I dive wearing:
- 5mm full wet suit depending on time of the year, possibly nothing in the summer.
- I'll be renting tanks for now, but would guess they'd be a standard aluminum 80?
- Mares Volo Power fins (sorry, not sure if they are pos / nuet. / neg) with boots
- 6 pounds of weight on a belt with a jacket BC (with no wet suit)
- I am 5'7", 135-40lbs
- I'll be diving all through-out the great state of Texas, emphasis on the Gulf

I DO know that I'd like to use a hog. harness...but that's about it.

If you need any more info for a recommendation, please ask! I feel like such a newb, hehe.

Last edited:
Hello!

I'm a very new diver, but already addicted, and looking to buy my own gear. I've had a hard time finding standard bcs that fit, and love the idea of the simple and intuitive bp / w combo. I'm a little at a loss as to what exactly to order from DSS though (mostly regarding the wings) and would be totally grateful for any help :wink:

I dive wearing:
- 5mm full wet suit depending on time of the year, possibly nothing in the summer.
- I'll be renting tanks for now, but would guess they'd be a standard aluminum 80?
- Mares Volo Power fins (sorry, not sure if they are pos / nuet. / neg) with boots
- 6 pounds of weight on a belt with a jacket BC (with no wet suit)
- I am 5'7", 135-40lbs

If you need any more info for a recommendation, please ask! I feel like such a newb, hehe.

Anya,

You have provided pretty much everything I need, with the exception of buoyancy info on your 5mm suit.

I'll assume your 5mm suit is about 12 lbs positive.

At 5'7" I'd recommend a medium back plate.

A medium SS plate and harness is about -6 lbs, and a regulator is about -2 and a full al 80 is about -2. That means your rig will be about -10 lbs with a full bottle, and about -4 lbs with an empty tank.

If your 5mm suit is in fact +12 you will need 12-4 = 8 lbs of lead in a belt.

(Probably a bit less because your 5mm suit is likely about 10 lbs buoyant.)

A very small wing could be used. You need enough wing to float your rig if your ditch it, and enough to compensate for the compression of your suit.

Your rig will be about -10, and your suit can't loose more than about 12 lbs.

That makes a 17 or 20 lbs wing reasonable choices.

For a 5mm suit, the SS plate provides part of your ballast.

With no wetsuit you will be a bit over weighted with a SS plate and al tank + reg.

The al tank is +4 empty, and the plate + reg provide about 8 lbs of total ballast. That leaves you about 4 lbs overweighted.

If you were only diving warm water, no wetsuit, I'd recommend a Lightweight Plate, but the SS plate is nice have with more buoyant wetsuits.

You might consider a 3mm suit for warm water. Most 3mm suits are about 4 lbs buoyant. A 3mm suit(+4 lbs) + al tank (+4 lbs empty) requires about 8 lbs of ballast, which is provided with a 6 lbs SS plate and 2 lbs regulator.

To recap:

For your 5mm suit and al 80:

Medium SS plate and Hogarthian Harness
LCD 20 Wing. (You should need 6-8 lbs in a belt)

For your new 3mm suit and al 80:

Medium SS plate and Hogarthian Harness
LCD 20 wing. (You should need little of no other ballast)

For no exposure suit and al 80
Medium Kydex plate and Hogarthian Harness
LCD 20 wing. (You might need ~2 lbs of additional ballast)

Let me know if you have other questions.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom