Back Plate/ Wing question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at my screen name, I can say that. Whether you're offended by it is another matter.

When I dropped into the 150s it looked terrible. How's that...
If it is ok for anyone to say it, it ok for everyone to say it (and vice versa). otherwise the people making the exception(or rule) are hypocrites.

And your screen name is as irrelevant as mine is.

This brings up a question that I've had for awhile. I've seen mention of too stiff, too soft and Goldilocks webbing. I have been known to cuss at the webbing that came with my unit because it is SOOO stiff. But what is a good texture (wrong word, I know, but best I could come up with on the fly) for working with when assembling a back plate? Does too soft mean that it's hard to thread through the slots?

Slight hijack, but OP may find it useful if they decide to put together their own.

Thanks
Erik
The new Scubapro webbing is too soft for me. I immediately replaced it with Halcyon Webbing. The old DSS webbing was too stiff for me to like personally...made mounting any hardware or making small adjustments a challenge for me.

The issue I have with "Soft" Scubapro webbing is that it too easily "twists" when getting the harness on. It hangs down from the top of the backplate very flat and when I insert my arm, it starts to twist up as I get my arm fully inserted. The waist straps twisted too easily also. It is quality webbing, but just not my preference.

Scubapro uses a 3 slot D-Ring retainer "Quad Glide??" for the shoulder D-rings. I personally believe this is because of the soft webbing and it is needed to keep the D-rings from easily sliding down. With that said...I like the design of the "Quad Glide" and I use it on my Halcyon webbing as the Chest Mount O2ptima can cause the shoulder D-Rings on standard triglides to slip on the harness when wearing the unit out of the water.

If you can, grab 2 bungie weight plate things, while youre there.

They allow weights onto the shoulder straps, instead of the cam bands.

I kept my waist belts kinda long. The buckle side doubles back, and I trim it before it hits the wing. Leaves enough slack to put weight onto the waist belt. When you add weights, snaking the webbing through, eats up a ton of webbing.
Can you explain or provide a link to the "2 bungee weight plate things?"

I still have yet to understand why everyone thinks they need want a backplate wing vs a traditional bc. It doesn't make anyone a better diver, they generally weigh more, cost more, and provide nothing different than a back inflate bc.

FWIW, all I do is the typical 50-60 vacation dives in tropical waters and recently went to a travellite cressi jacket style and I love it.
Nice hijack ! thanks....

For 20 bucks in webbing, I would absolutely NOT rethread the harness with each switch. Adjust it once and it stays perfect.

I would swap the wing & cambands, however. A single tank adapter would make that swap a 60 second job vs. perhaps 5 minutes if cambands are run through the plate.

In my case, I swap between single and double tank wings (same plate) somewhat regularly. Haven't added an STA as yet, though.
That’s what I thought might be the case. I only have one BP/W in AL and the webbing is very stiff so adding accessories and threading in tri-glides and threading the buckle initially is a pain.

The new Scubapro webbing is too soft for me. I immediately replaced it with Halcyon Webbing. The old DSS webbing was too stiff for me to like personally...made mounting any hardware or making small adjustments a challenge for me.

The issue I have with "Soft" Scubapro webbing is that it too easily "twists" when getting the harness on. It hangs down from the top of the backplate very flat and when I insert my arm, it starts to twist up as I get my arm fully inserted. The waist straps twisted too easily also. It is quality webbing, but just not my preference.

Scubapro uses a 3 slot D-Ring retainer "Quad Glide??" for the shoulder D-rings. I personally believe this is because of the soft webbing and it is needed to keep the D-rings from easily sliding down. With that said...I like the design of the "Quad Glide" and I use it on my Halcyon webbing as the Chest Mount O2ptima can cause the shoulder D-Rings on standard triglides to slip on the harness when wearing the unit out of the water.
Upon reflection, I’m guessing the real reason for the shoulder and hip pads on the SP webbing is help with the twisting in addition to spreading the load since soft webbing can tend toward becoming a U shape and concentrating the load over a smaller area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom