Wing Size.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danemeyer20

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am trying to figure out what size I am going to need for the wing, either the 30 or the 40. I live in South Florida and dive primarily with:

- 3mm vest and/or a 3mm full wetsuit depending on time of the year, although sometimes nothing in the summer.
- 120 steel tank which when full is is -11lbs and empty is -2lbs
- Slightly negative fins but boots make up for it
- anywhere from 8-12lbs of weight on a belt with a jacket BC
- I plan on also purchasing the SS medium backplate which is around -5
- I am 6-1", 190lbs

AT the absolute most I am 26lbs negative under my own estimations. I figure with this I should go with the either a 30lb or 40lb wing. Whatcha think?

A 30 lb wing is fine for Florida year-round.

If you ever plan to go anywhere else that is cold, though, like the Great Lakes or New England or the Carolinas, you may wish you went with 40 lbs of wing, however.

If I ever did cold water(probably not) I more than likely would be using a really thick wet suit since im a bltch and that would have a huge effect on my boyancy. I also dont know the difference between fresh and salt water in regards to weight differences because I have never dove fresh water. My main issue everyone tells me is i keep alot of weight on my persons for the type of diving i do in south florida but im comfortable with it

I am trying to figure out what size I am going to need for the wing, either the 30 or the 40. I live in South Florida and dive primarily with:

- 3mm vest and/or a 3mm full wetsuit depending on time of the year, although sometimes nothing in the summer.
- 120 steel tank which when full is is -11lbs and empty is -2lbs
- Slightly negative fins but boots make up for it
- anywhere from 8-12lbs of weight on a belt with a jacket BC
- I plan on also purchasing the SS medium backplate which is around -5
- I am 6-1", 190lbs

AT the absolute most I am 26lbs negative under my own estimations. I figure with this I should go with the either a 30lb or 40lb wing. Whatcha think?

You are currently using up to 16 lbs of total ballast, 12 lbs of lead, 2 lbs of regulator and 2 lbs of empty tank.

That's quite a bit for 3mm suit. Most 3mm suits are about 4-8 lbs positive. I'd guess with 8 lbs you are closer to being ideally weighted than when you carry 12 lbs.

Your bc could be up to +4 lbs with an empty bladder. That still leaves 16-4 = 12 lbs of ballast to sink your 4mm suit.

If we assume your 3mm suit is +8 lbs then you will be slightly over weighted with a medium SS plate and harness , -~6 lbs, a reg, -2 lbs and an empty steel tank, -2, total 10 lbs.

Your rig will be about -19 lbs with a full tank (plate and harness + reg + full tank)

That makes a Torus 26 a good choice.

Tobin

Am I to assume that the 26 will be fine with no wetsuit on at all? I would say I dive about half the time with no wetsuit on and im just in my shorts and sometimes a 3mm sleeveless vest.

My issue was without the suit should I go to a larger wing to make up for no wetsuit. Thanks tobin

Am I to assume that the 26 will be fine with no wetsuit on at all? I would say I dive about half the time with no wetsuit on and im just in my shorts and sometimes a 3mm sleeveless vest.

Less wetsuit (or no wetsuit) usually means you can use a smaller wing. You have compressible neoprene to compensate for, and need less ballast.

OTOH, if you plan to dive with a SS plate, and negative steel tank with no wetsuit you will be substantially overweighted.

-6 for the plate and harness and -2 for your reg and -2 for your empty steel tank is about 10 lbs of ballast. With no wetsuit and a diver who is close to neutral in swim trunks is not a good idea.

With no wetsuit you should consider using al 80's and or a lightweight back plate.

Tobin

Keep in mind if you dive in a lot of chop a larger wing will lift you a little higher out of the water.

Rob

specifically why I asked if i should go up in size on the wing. The lightweight BP is a good idea but I will be staying with the 120 steel. air is gooooooooddddddd

specifically why I asked if i should go up in size on the wing. The lightweight BP is a good idea but I will be staying with the 120 steel. air is gooooooooddddddd

Larger wings are never the right answer to being overweighted.

If you suffer a buoyancy failure and you are over weighted you don't have many attractive options. This is particularly true if your only ballast is the "rig" i.e. tank plate and reg.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom