Wing v BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
Just bustin' your balls, Ron. :crafty:

I often travel with a SS plate STA and wing. They don't weigh any more than my old Ranger or Chute. If it's the right tool for the job... I usually take it. I'm a weak compromiser... unfortunately.

Shoot... sometimes I travel with 2 plates, an STA and 2 wings.... rarely squeezed for weight.

Well, I travel with a full DSLR UW setup on top of my Scuba Gear. If I travel with the family I'm never pressed for weight because we could check 6 50lbs bags. However have you ever tried to get 6 50lbs bags in the trunk of a standard sized rental!

When I went to Coz I was alone, and I used every OZ available. My two bags weighed 50lbs, and 49lbs and I had two carry on bags that were stuffed to the gills both the maximum size roller bags.

Ironically you could have packed my clothing in a very small carry on. All the rest was.... gear! Traveling with a digital camera, housing, and strobe also means batteries, chargers, laptops, etc., and that stuff adds up quickly.

What I REALLY need is one of those George Jetson foldup briefcase type car contraptions for scuba and camera gear! Now THAT would come in handy! :D

TSandM:
Absolutely true! (Although if your BC doesn't have trim pockets or any other easy way to put weight up on your back, it can be hard to trim out properly.)

Most Back Inflate BC's do have trim pockets. Also, just like a BP/W there are multiple options for adding weight by attaching weight pouches to the tanks straps, or on the BC, but that is generally not necessary.

I prefer to dive a BP/W dry with a heavy Plate/STA for exactly the reason you suggest. Putting 20lbs of lead in the front pockets of my BC is not optimal vs. having it spread across the back.

RonFrank:
Well, I travel with a full DSLR UW setup on top of my Scuba Gear. If I travel with the family I'm never pressed for weight because we could check 6 50lbs bags. However have you ever tried to get 6 50lbs bags in the trunk of a standard sized rental!

Yes... I often travel with a photographer... I feel your pain. I have a HUGE family, too. Thankfully, the kids can now do all the work.

TSandM:
The big advantage of the BP/W setup is the modularity. I can use the same BP for a single tank or for doubles, for tropical and for cold water, just by changing out the wing and adding or removing cambands.

My Stiletto is 5lbs, maybe less. My SS BP/W is about 14lbs.

Modularity would APPEAR to be a selling point. However I have found it's really not. For example I have considered getting a travel BP. To do this I need an Alum BP and STA. I do NOT want to have to restring my harness, so add another $35 for a harness. I *could* move my CAM Bands back an forth, but they are a bit of a pain to string, so I'd likely buy another set of DiveRite CAMBands ($50). My 32lbs OMS wing would be good for travel, so I would use that on both setups.

If I wanted to dive doubles, I'd need another wing (the most expensive component). I could then reuse my AL setup (IF I buy one), but I would not want to use my current SS BP/W.

A lot of divers I know, do NOT like to mess with their setups because they have the weighting and trim set. DIR divers I know are NOT less gear intensive due to the streamlined BP/W system. Most I dive with own at least 2 complete setups, and many own 3~5 different configurations, all ready to dive.

Modularity CAN be listed as a positive. However in reality most BP/W divers are not taking advantage of the modular setup as it's a hassle to do so. Besides having more STUFF is fun! :wink:

Stephen Ash:
Yes... I often travel with a photographer... I feel your pain. I have a HUGE family, too. Thankfully, the kids can now do all the work.

I see you've hidden you post count. Why did you do that? Are you concerned about your ratio of dives to posts?

I always find it humorous and suspect when I see people giving advice to others yet they have signicificantly more posts than they have dives.

Don Janni:
I see you've hidden you post count. Why did you do that? Are you concerned about your ratio of dives to posts?

I always find it humorous and suspect when I see people giving advice to others yet they have signicificantly more posts than they have dives.
Kinda like yourself?

Don Janni:

Whaaaa?

I didn't see a "Minimum Number of Dives Before Posting" in the TOS. Would someone point that out to me?

Example:
If a person has only 20 dives, but all with a specific brand of mask, are they not qualitfied to post an opinion on the qualities of the mask?

Regards,

Gary

Don Janni:

Ouch!

I suspect you didn't mean that the way it sounded... right?

I hid it so I won't be a target for the mods who seem to enjoy deleting my posts.

But here... I'll open it up again... just for you, Don. :D

Wow... I got a lot of posts! I think you're right! Eech!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom