Wing v BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many, many people who are now diving a BP/W had previously owned a conventional BCD. The fact that many people switch from them to BP/W (and not many the other way around) is a testimonial to their Comfort, Simplicity, and streamlined-ness (I am sure that is not a real word?).

I did one better. A Jacket BCD, and Winged BCD (Zeagle Ranger - older model) and then a BP/W.

I personally like the streamlinedness best. I feel that I can swim more efficiently, get way better air consumption rates and I like the ability to simply look down and can easily see behind me to check location of my buddy (often my wife) and also occasional students in classes I assist with. My view is not cluttered with obstructions on my chest. (No unnecessary cumberbunds, buckles, clips, straps and assorted other assorted stuff obstructing my view and causing drag).

Just my 2 psi's worth!

mheaster:
Many, many people who are now diving a BP/W had previously owned a conventional BCD. The fact that many people switch from them to BP/W (and not many the other way around) is a testimonial to their Comfort, Simplicity, and streamlined-ness (I am sure that is not a real word?).

I did one better. A Jacket BCD, and Winged BCD (Zeagle Ranger - older model) and then a BP/W.

I personally like the streamlinedness best. I feel that I can swim more efficiently, get way better air consumption rates and I like the ability to simply look down and can easily see behind me to check location of my buddy (often my wife) and also occasional students in classes I assist with. My view is not cluttered with obstructions on my chest. (No unnecessary cumberbunds, buckles, clips, straps and assorted other assorted stuff obstructing my view and causing drag).

Just my 2 psi's worth!

The backplates have evolved to address all the issues of divers, both warm and cold water. With their variable weight modern designs, the backplates have become a more comfortable solution than jackets or soft harnesses, with the possible exception of training new divers, which is still in the realm of jackets, in the minds of many course directors and store owners with whom I have spoken.

i usually dive in a zeagle tech and on the weekend was my first bpw dives and i loved it!

i was able to drop from 12lbs to 7lbs (i can lose another 1lb), i felt better streamlined in the water (i usually have a 44lbs wing and the one i dive in was 34lbs) and i was really impressed with how easy it was to slip in and out of and comfy

i now understand why so many posts are "get a bpw" and i now agree with it

i did ask hubby on the weekend though, with oceanic now coming out with the hollis range how does teaching OW students change if they start buying bpw and bypassing the traditional jackets

Back
Top Bottom