Wing without backplate rivets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joris Vd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello guys,

I'm a novice diver who's only done his first couple of dives.
My mother is an oldschool diver who comes from the horsecollar bcd times and isn't really up to date to modern day scuba. She wanted to buy me my first bcd for christmas and decided to buy me a bp/wing setup, because that's what her older friends who still scuba recommended to her.
She ended up buying me a finnsub fly 17d bladder with a 3mm DIRZONE stainless steel plate + harness. The thing is, for some reason the finnsub does not seem to have rivets to attach the bp to the harness?

Is this a manufacturing mistake and should we return it or is it supposed to be held only by the two tank straps?
This is a picture of the way the bladder back looks like.
25589729_10213312293553257_1923998284_n.jpg

With kind regards,

Joris

That won't cause any issue as the wing will be sandwiched between the tank and plate. There are a few other manufacturers that do it this way as well.

looks to be designed to just be held in by the cam bands. Hopefully they line up with the backplate. It's actually better if not using a STA to not have the stainless grommets and @cool_hardware52 doesn't put them on his singles wings either because they can cause the tank to roll.

Only issue that you may find is that on the surface during drying the wing will not stay flat against the plate, but it's not an actual issue, certainly not in the water.

My old Dive Rite Travel wing works the same way

Hello Joris,

Most all back plate and wing setups are similar. In most cases, the wing is held to the backplate via the tank cam straps.

Given a choice, and just for your knowledge, there are wings that are held in place by bolts at top and bottom that penetrate the wing through grommets. These bolts are 11" (27.94 cm) on center to be used with the bolts on double-tank hardware or single tank adapters. IMHO, using the bolts is much preferred.

I don't use the grommets that are in my wing. The cam bands holding the tank and wing in place seem to work fine. As for alignment of the wing, I guess I've been doing it long enough that I don't have any proble.

Check the construction of the wing, you can probably put your own grommets in if you feel it necessary.

Bob

I dont use the grommets on my wing. I have a line on the tank where the strap belongs and the wing centers on that position with a little tugging before tightening the cam bands.;

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom