Wings: Halcyon vs Golem vs DSS - A No-BS-Assessment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a 26lb DSS wing and it's great. Don't have experience with the others.

Love that it comes off the bp so easy, which makes for easy cleaning.

Tough and durable construction to boot.

Talk to Tobin as he sat with me on the phone for 25min helping me get the EXACT size I needed.

Wonderful support.

I own 2 complete DSS Rigs:

Singles Rig - Torus 36, Large Steel BP, Steel Weight Plates
Doubles Rig - Torus 49, Med Kydex plate, Delrin thumbwheels.

I also just bought the stage bottle ties...and I can't wait to use them. In fact, I own the valve tool, the inflator tool AND the BCD cleaner nozzle. Superior quality and very wonderful customer service.

Sometimes I just like to look at their stuff and admire the quality, it's that good.

I can't wait for the DSS fins :eyebrow:

Edit: I also have 2 computer bungee mounts, and the SK7 compass mount. I did forget how much I like their stuff.

Check out the DSS gear, Todin really knows his stuff! :D

The Oxycheq "roll control tabs" can be pushed aside if using an STA, and have zero impact at all with an STA. DSS's elastomer roll control stoppers seems a bit tougher to "squish" down with an STA, and would slightly increase the distance between the tank and the plate. If I had a DSS singles wing with a non-DSS backplate I'd unstitch the stoppers for use with an STA. With a DSS wing and DSS plate I'd just dump the STA idea and get the optional DSS weight plates.

If you're looking to use a wing from Brand A with a plate from Brand B without an STA, it's a real crapshoot, since the wing and plate camband slots can vary dramatically between makes. For this reason (and because H, DSS and Oxycheq all make great wings), I'd recommend just getting the same brand as the plate you already have.

Of the four, only Halcyon and DSS make their wings in-house. Quality control is an intimate detail for them since they don't sell their "blems". I have never seen a DSS wing not fit a plate, but I do like their plates the best.

In addition, I like the fact that both Deep Sea Supply and Halcyon see the good here on ScubaBoard and support our efforts. Even if the products were even, I would suggest that we support those who support us. It only makes sense. :D

Halcyon sells their "Blems"...

That being said I agree that H and DSS are the best sources around.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom