Winter dive gear in Japan - advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadianSushi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Dammit, people! The warm season was way too short this year!
Now I need to start thinking about what to do this winter if I want to keep diving.

If my main area of concern is Izu, what would be my best investment? I have a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket and I'm trying to determine whether that money would be best invested in a heavier wetsuit (7mm) as I currently only have a 5, or should spend a few hundred more and go straight for a drysuit? Even though the H2O temp in Futo now is 20-21C, my buddy says he froze his goolies off (wearing a 5) last weekend.

Either way, does anyone have any good suggestions where to buy from locally? Currently my favorite online shop is diving-ya.com and I've also purchased stuff from Mic21. Anyone have the scoop on a nice, cheap outlet for suits (wet or dry)?

Thanks, all!

JD

If you want to dive year round in Izu I think your only choice is a drysuit unless you have balls of steel.

I've not really looked into drysuits though, so I can't help on where to buy them. I hear the diving is very good viz in winter so I would pay the extra if you're keen :thumb:

I've been needling the wife into letting me buy a drysuit for the last 6 months :wink: almost have her convinced........

Lats winter the water in izu was about 15, sometimes 14. Some people could do that in a wetsuit, but a dry suit is so much nicer, especially between dives!

I've already got my future suit picked out. a DUI 350
Most japanese people seem to use the neoprene drysuits, but that doesn't make much sense to me...

Best part about diving in Izu in the winter is -- the best viz of the year and 1/10th the number of divers! its really nice!!!!!

I did one dive in December in Fukuoka........10C.......5mm wetsuit.

Can you say cold???

Lats winter the water in izu was about 15, sometimes 14. Some people could do that in a wetsuit, but a dry suit is so much nicer, especially between dives!

It is really that warm?! I would have no problem diving that in a semi-dry wetsuit and hood.... but getting out of the water might be a bit nippy. I might try some diving in the winter here this year...

Well last year it never dropped below 14 on any of my dives..... not sure if it was a warm winter or is typical. maybe some dive sites are colder depending on the currents and such.....

Just being able to dive without so many people all over the place makes it all worth it to me.

Well last year it never dropped below 14 on any of my dives..... not sure if it was a warm winter or is typical. maybe some dive sites are colder depending on the currents and such.....

Just being able to dive without so many people all over the place makes it all worth it to me.
That's probably about right. It's right in the path of the "Kuroshio" - kind of like a Pacific Gulf Stream.

Sea of Japan side near Fukuoka is somewhat colder.

Last year in Izu was not a normal year, usually it gets to about 10-12 degrees. It is really not healthy or safe to be cold on dives. We dive all around the year, 11 months in drysuits. It is soo much more comfortable :coffee:

Thomas

So, it seems that the overwhelming consensus here is that if I plan to dive year-round, don't bother with the 7mm -- go straight to a dry....

Anyone have a good source they want to share? FWIW, I got a quote from LeisurePro on a Bare D6 Pro for $800 USD. Bare D-6 Pro Drysuit (011103) <font color="#FF0000">Call for pricing information. </font> from LeisurePro.com

Otherwise, locally-speaking, Mic21 has the following: ymic21z‚f‚q‚t‚r‚g@ƒhƒ‰ƒCƒX[ƒc@ƒŒƒfƒB[ƒX@‚a‚j^‚a‚k^‚v‚s for 89,040 yen.

By the time I get the Bare sent from abroad, the shipping will run me a minimum of $100, so it would likely end up costing a bit more.

Also, I could likely try the thing on if I go local. The XXL looks like it would fit just fine, but who's to say for sure?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom