Winter Diving in Georgia??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is my first winter being a diver and I'm itching to get back in the water. I'm thinking of going to the springs in FL. to get wet but don't know what to expect. The springs I'm thinking about are in the northwest (Panhandle) and central (around Tampa area).
If you have experienced diving in these springs during Winter please let me know what to expect and what I should bring for SI's.

Also if anyone has info on Winter diving any lakes around let me know too. My brother and I are both looking to get wet soon but to keep "she who must be obeyed" happy we are looking to dive cheap. Thanks,
Jeremy

Are you going to be in an RV or camper??

The temps in the water in the springs are about 70F year round.
A 3/2 full suit with hood works for me.

The major consideration will be where you will spend your surface interval and how protected you will be from the elements.

Needless to say, the vagaries of winter weather can be fickle at best.

JKSteger:
This is my first winter being a diver and I'm itching to get back in the water. I'm thinking of going to the springs in FL. to get wet but don't know what to expect. The springs I'm thinking about are in the northwest (Panhandle) and central (around Tampa area).
If you have experienced diving in these springs during Winter please let me know what to expect and what I should bring for SI's.

Also if anyone has info on Winter diving any lakes around let me know too. My brother and I are both looking to get wet soon but to keep "she who must be obeyed" happy we are looking to dive cheap. Thanks,
Jeremy

Every year after Christmas my son and I head down to the springs, usually Ginnie for a day and then somewhere else for the second day. During the day it is usually fine, you'll be a little chilly getting out of the water, but as soon as you dry off and put on a sweatshirt/jacket you're fine and loving life. At night getting out of the water can be a little more tortuous, but at Ginnie they have heated changing rooms (go from water to changing room and you're not suffering at all) or....get a dry suit and life is really good.

Thank everyone,
I guess that we will go to Ginnie if they have heated changing rooms. We will just get up and drive down to Ginnie do a few dives then return back home the next morning.

Thanks,
Jeremy

JKSteger:
Thank everyone,
I guess that we will go to Ginnie if they have heated changing rooms. We will just get up and drive down to Ginnie do a few dives then return back home the next morning.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Did open water cert dives at vortex and in the gulf off of panama city a few years back on new years eve. exposure protection won't change from summer to winter while you're in the water (springs at least)...we left our wetsuits on during SI and with a windbreaker, endured the overcast skies and chill wind quite well. the warm showers at vortex didn't hurt either.

JK,
A dive buddy of mine and I dive up at Lake Lanier all year long, yes, even during the winter.
We take my old '69 Dodge motorcoach to hang out in and to warm up between dives. You're more than welcome to join us.

Thanks Kraken,
I've wanted to dive Lanier as it is just up the road a bit. Not sure about protection as all I have is a Neosport 3/2 and an Xcel Xpedition. I've thought about layering the two with a hood. Don't know if this would be enough!
I would like to meet up with you Kraken and do a Lanier dive. I'm sure it would be interesting. BTW my brother dives too and would love to dive Lanier also. We have talked about diving it for months but don't know where to enter, etc. we are not very familiar with the lake area although I work in Norcross.

PM me and may be we could at least meet up and I could get educated on the Lanier area around the lake.

Thanks again,
Jeremy

Will do . . .

I'm thinking about driving up to the Lanier area this weekend. I'm not planing on diving just looking at the lake. Where would you suggest that I check out? I'm not familiar with the lake at all and am not sure where I should even start looking for placed to go in at. I don't have a boat so I would have to do a shore dives.

Any suggestions / or directions???

Thanks,
Jeremy Steger

About the only place to play is at the "West Bank Park". There is an area with a diver's platfrom at about 30' and some navigation underwater markers to play with.

It's kinda hard to do without a boat. There are some sites of old home places that were inundated when the lake was built, but most of those require a boat for access.

I'll have to get home and see what I can pull up for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom