Winter Diving in Georgia??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've shore dove off the little west bank cove. Went out to about 45 or 50' to just check it out a tad bit. Easy little shore dive, though you probably won't see much of anything.. :) I have already spoken with the kracken privately, but I would also almost always be interested in diving lanier. Send me a PM when you are thinking about going and if I can I will make a trip out there.

Matt

Kraken,

Where do you drive from when you go there? I would be interested in go with you. I have recent moved from Reno, NV to here and haven't been diving yet on the East Coast. If you could PM me with some info that would be cool.

GADriver:
Kraken,

Where do you drive from when you go there? I would be interested in go with you. I have recent moved from Reno, NV to here and haven't been diving yet on the East Coast. If you could PM me with some info that would be cool.
I'll go to Lake Lanier when y'all going next? I'm avaliable Sundays and Wends.

Qetzal,
We're tenatively trying to put together a New Year's Day dive.
It may not be anything spectacular, but we'll be getting wet and meeting each other.
Can't think of any better reason to dive Lake Latrine at the moment!
We'll plan to dive at the "West Bank Park" on Lake Lanier on New Year's Day.
I'll keep ya posted.

QUETZAL:
I'll go to Lake Lanier when y'all going next? I'm avaliable Sundays and Wends.

You know I'll dive Lanier with you Allen. Sunday's and Wednesdays are fine by me. I am going to be going up there on New Years, even if I can't dive (wisdom teeth removal). Hoping to be healed up by then. That being said, I like Jocassee better than Lanier. Definately a nicer lake, but Lanier is still closer to me. Not trying to tell ya not to come down and dive lanier or anything, but I think the diving is better at jocassee.

GaDiver: You should come out on New Years if you can, if not I'm sure one of us that have dove Lanier could help you out on a non-holiday and show you a lay of the land.

Matt

Have to agree with Corigan on the comparative conditions of the two lakes, but like he said, Lanier is a whole lot closer, especially for this type of dive.

If the weather keeps up the way it's been going, it will most assuredlybe a polar bear dive.

I drove over to Lanier yesterday 12-19-2004 to take a peak at the West Bank Park and to check and see what to expect with the water. I ran into a couple of guys who were getting out of the water. They said that conditions were pretty good yesterday with 15 to 20 feet vis. Water Temp was 52 according to the computer. One was diving in a 7/5 Simi-Dry suit and the other in a hyperstretch 5mil. They said it was only really cold when they got out. It was snowing a little BTW while I was talking to them.

They said they dive Lanier a good bit, not much to see mind you, but you could blow bubbles and work on alot of skills. (peak bouancy comes to mind).
I thought that the VIS was pretty good juding by the surface clarity. The water looked EXTREMELY clear to me but I've only dove the Gulf and it has been hit & miss with clarity down there.

I do have one question for anyone...
What exactly is a "simi-dry" suit? I'm assuming its a wetsuit that is really thick with extra seals at the neck, legs and wrists to try and keep out as much water from getting in as possible?
Also if anyone has experience which would be better for the local lake diving ie. Jocosse, Lanier, etc. A 7/5 simi-dry or a 7mil jumpsuit?.

Thanks for all your help,
Happy Bubble Blowing....

Jeremy

It should definately be some fun dives on New years, hopefully conditions are as nice as those fellows just stated. My teeth seem to be healing quite nicely, and I definately think I'll be able to make the dives on new years, hooray.

I will be diving a 7mm semi-dry. Mine is a pinnacle polar suit with integrated hood. It does have seals that you mentioned to keep water trapped in/out. Works pretty well, but have no doubts you definately get wet. I have had the polar down to 48 degrees and it was toasty, so I assume it will be fine for what I am diving at lanier. It all depends on your tolerance for cold and what type of person you are when dealing with cold. One rule of thumb I would use: It's better to bring something that is too warm than too cold. If worst comes to worst you could let a little water in from time to time to cool you down if you are too hot, but if you are too cold there isn't much to do. So I would atleast try to bring a 7/5 and most definately a hood. Of course this is just personal opinion and YMMV. If I remember correctly, it gets in the low 40's on really deep dives in lanier, so I assume there is a thermocline. I haven't gone down that deep in lanier to have any first hand experience though, so maybe the kracken can help us out. I would try to go with as thick of a wetsuit as possible if you can't bring a drysuit.. :) Lanier is a great place to work on skills, besides that, for me it's close and cheap.. :) Hope you make it out on new years, would be a blast to get as many people out there as possible. How long of a drive is it from locust grove to the lake?

Matt

Hey, Guys !!!!
Let's plan on meeting up around 11 a.m. on New Year's Day.
I'll be wearing a 6.5 FJ/J and hood, of course.
I'll have the old motorcoach there so we'll have some hot coffee when we get out.
Anyone need for me to pick up breathing gas?

Back
Top Bottom