Winter Diving withdrawal syndrome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...

For me my diving includes a tropical sunset at the end of every day and more fish than the local aquarium. :moon:

AMEN TO THAT !!! :D I dive for fun not for pain !! ;-0

hehehe ! but i am sure that i will DEFINITELY dive before APRIL though

My name is Lawman, and....I'm a recovering diver. I havn't gone underwater for 24 days. I had a relapse in November...a guy from Detroit offered me a 2 hour dive in the Detroit River and I did it. He said it would be "cool". I did it, but I didn't inhale.

Ask your Higher Power to strengthen your will and hold out til
Spring. Don't let the temporary thrill of going thru the ice ruin your future. Take it one day at a time.

god i cant stand it anymore !!! I am goign to get my first setup real soon and go to the local "BUBBLED" pool and dive. Actually to work on my buoyancy :)

ok i am a whimp .... i dont like cold. Eat ME :D

I realize every one isn't suited for the riggors, or the financial investment of winter diving. If your body or your budget isn't willing to let you dive typically, lake, ocean, and or quarry diving, there is an alternative! Most YMCA or schools have taken to renting pool time as a way to help defrey costs or just make money. This may not be the most glammorous dive you ever took, but you'll be able to get under, be warmer, and work on skills in a somewhat controlled environment reguardless of the weather. There are a number of divers in the club I belong to who follow this practice for one reason or another. What ever floats their boats..........
Wreck/Tec

You big babies! We, the NERDS (North East Region Dive Society), had our monthly dive meeting in Rutland, VT at a local quarry today. Air temp was 22F, water temp was 37F. To top it off, 1 1/2 feet of snow on the ground between us and the entry point 60+ yards away. Anyone who is in "the south" and is not diving because it is too cold, or there is snow on the ground, needs a snap of the mask and a kick of the fins on their backside! Quit your whining and go dive. If your diving wet, take a large jug filled with hot water to pour down your suit. Try using duct tape around your ankles and wrists to keep the cold water from getting in (remember to leave a tab loose for ease of removal). Bring suffecient dry garments to change into between and after diving. And if you are diving dry, there is no excuse. Now get out there and Dive!

Smack

Has the winter blahs got you down?
Are you suffering from scuba withdrawl?

The you need Virtual Diving or VD for short.

VD is not a replacement for diving, but a similator to allow you to bask in the meories of last seasons dives.
It's still in development, but soon to released for Beta testing.

So far we’ve come up with a small, dim, blurry blue-and-white monitor that you strap directly to your face, and a custom-made helmet chilled to 8°C.

Two special cups seal around your ears and are filled with diluted sewage. You breathe though a regular mouthpiece that mixes air with a fine mist of fresh or salt water depending on your preference.

Before starting, you drink a liter of cola (no not caffeine-free, I mean the Jolt Cola or Pepsi Max supper caffeine stuff) and then lie facedown in a damp, fluffy, adult-size pair of PJ’s, with strong adhesive tape secured to your genitals to prevent urination and present that ever-present suit squeeze.
You are now ready to don the large elastic bands (or duct tape) that go around your wrists and neck to simulate the seals of your drysuit. These were actually comfortable in the shop, but have now shrunk considerably and will stay that way until just before they split.

The monitor can be to set play a selection of videos –
The Dead Coral Garden,
The Featureless Sandy Bottom,
The Lifeless Reef,
The Dark Mucky Hole
or a local favorite, Spot the Fatty.

To simulate normal visibility simply switch the monitor off or replace it with a conventional scuba mask filled with cold beef with barley soup.

The whole thing weighs in at around 60kg or 150 lbs, so you can carry it about a bit before and after the virtual dive. To round off the experience, why not soak it and leave it dripping in your bath tub for a couple of days, while members of your family moan about how the scratches on the bottom of the tub are roughening up their behinds?

A Dive-boat Simulator is optional.
It contains a half-liter of soured milk to drink to reproduce the helpless retching of seasickness. Seasoned divers might like two of these so that they can save one for the return trip. Also included is a size 12 Doc Martin filled with concrete, with which to trample your regulator, computer, dive light and camera, and a Zodiac Simulator. This is a large sledgehammer encased in rubber for banging up the rest of your gear.

Hang in there spring will soon be here.

Mike D
:blfish:

Mike,

That is the funniest post I have read in a long time. I loved it! I have to add scent of " neoprene soaking in the bathtub" Just use a bottle of "Sink the Stink" and inhale. That should add that final touch to the Virtual experience.

Well, people up here (Minnesota) have to cut holes in the ice to dive, but we still can dive. Some dive wet, some dive dry but it IS possible. Water temp is around 34 degrees which is normally warmer than the air temp!

Seaangle bubbled: "That is the funniest post I have read in a long time. I loved it! "

Glad you liked it.
I my post has brightened your spirits for a moment then- My work is done here.

You might want to check out my new secret Fraternity in the Humor String.

Mike D
:blfish:

My buddies and I dive wet all year long, in Michigan. Crazy? Yes, definetly crazy but fun. It wasn't last week that I actually broke down and bought a dry suit. Only because I will be attending commercial dive school and they said it would be a very good idea. The first few dives were somewhat cold but after a few more, you get used to it. The last dive we did was a few days before Thanksgiving. Water temp 52 surface and 46 at the thermocline. We would have done our annual Christmas Eve and New Years Day dives had I not been working.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom