Winter upkeep exercise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pink_fins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Fall diving is over for me now. So that means I will loose some of my stregnth to dive. In the spring,will have to start over.

This winter I want to keep up some sort of exercise program to keep strong for diving in the spring.
Would I do shoulder, thigh or what kind of exercise?

Also if I use my drysuit, I find with the tank and extra weights to get me down, I have trouble walking. What exercise would be good for that ?

I have started swimning with my mask,snorkel and fins. That should help some.

tia

gail

Fall diving is over for me now. So that means I will loose some of my stregnth to dive. In the spring,will have to start over.

Could you be more specific as to what you mean by strength to dive? Diving itself is in general a low physical exertion activity, unless you are going against wicked currents. The more physical parts are during the entry and exit, and that is very dependent on your equipment, surroundings (boat or shore), ambient temperature, etc. Even with those factors, the overall activity is very low. If this is what you are referring to, then any type of vigorous physical activity with a well designed program should be sufficient. Your body only declines if you don't challenge it.

Now if we are referring to the skills require in scuba diving, THAT is a different subject. That has to do a lot more with motor learning rather than kinesiology. Skills that are not practiced get rusty, however, if you had them in the first place, it does not take long to remember.

This winter I want to keep up some sort of exercise program to keep strong for diving in the spring. Would I do shoulder, thigh or what kind of exercise?

You'll be better off and avoid wasting a lot of time if you stop focusing on individual parts. Focus more on the basic aspects of fitness which are Balance, flexibility, strength, power and endurance. If you do not know how to put a proper program together, seek the guidance of a qualified fitness professional.

Also if I use my drysuit, I find with the tank and extra weights to get me down, I have trouble walking. What exercise would be good for that ?

Nobody can walk at leisure with all the gear needed for DS diving. The equipment is heavy and your body has to change posture to prevent you from falling. What exercise would be good for that? Well, all of them! The issue here is not what exercise, but rather, what component of fitness is lagging. Now keep in mind that those aforementioned components ARE NOT separate, but well connected with each other. For instance, addressing strength weaknesses has a positive effect on balance and stamina without the need to directly work those components, see the connection?

I have started swimning with my mask,snorkel and fins. That should help some.
tia gail

Let's think for a second here. Being that scuba gear is designed to be neutrally buoyant, it is not a problem while in the water. The problem is having the gear on while you are NOT in the water, so how does a water based endurance activity help you with your strength problem?

Wouldn't it make sense to build strength on ground-based activities since that's the medium where the issues appear? Now, this is not saying to stop your activities in the water, but rather, to engage in a more complete exercise program including things like resistance and endurance training, which seem to be the main problem here.

Again, If you are having difficulty putting it all together, please seek qualified help. It will be a good investment and help you stay in shape for your next diving season. Good luck!

I've just started going back to the gym. 2.5 miles on the bike, some strength training alternating arms, legs, shoulders and back, followed by a mile on the treadmill. Started two weeks ago. Went from a 17:53 jogging walking huffing and puffing mile to today when I did an 11:09 running mile and was breathing easy. Sweating like a pig in my hoodie and long sweat pants but it feels great.

One of the biggest things is to find things you enjoy, that way you are more likely to stick with them. Also, variety (or cross-training is critical).

It's great that you are swimming, because that's the cardiovascular exercise I recommend most to people since it's easier on the joints than running and, if you vary your strokes, which you should, you are moving them through their range of motion better than perhaps any other cardio exercise. I love biking, but the shoulders don't exactly benefit from it. But variety is good to avoid burnout. Some people find that joining a group fitness class is a great way to stay motivated, as is finding a workout partner.

Since it's winter, take advantage of it, and if there is snow where you live, try cross-country skiing or snowshoeing, which are both excellent cardiovascular endurance exercises and a great way to get fresh air too.

One of the basic guidelines is to do something that gets your heart rate up and keeps it there for at least 30 minutes 3-5 times per week. In addition, you should challenge your muscle strength at least twice a week for each muscle group. If you have not done any weight training and are interested, it's a good idea to work with a trainer a first to get help on form.

I would also recommend adding yoga for strength, flexibility, balance, and breath control. Yes, I will plus my Yoga for Scuba Divers book here: 8th Element Yoga - Books - Yoga for Scuba Divers

Basically, find things that keep you moving that are both challenging and enjoyable and you will stay in shape.

You should do total body for strength training. Since everything is interconnected, focusing on some muscle groups and not others can lead to injuries from overstressing some parts of the body. That said, I would do a routine that works out for your time available. Do the whole body every other day or split it into groups so that you can do more in less time if needed.

One idea is to do low reps high weight. Good for preventing muscle loss and developing strength. I like to do 5 sets of 5 or doing 3 sets of 5 with drop sets. I usually rest about 30 seconds before my next set since at 30 seconds about 50% of your muscles have recovered. Drop sets are after finishing your last set of 5 you would remove some weight and do as many sets as possibly. Do this until all the weight is gone. Works best with dumbells but totally do able with a bar. There are some people who do 10 sets of 3 to really crank out some high weights.

Another great work out is doing 8 sets of 8 reps with 15-20 seconds rest. This will give you a good pump and help to build muscle mass. Works out well if you need to develope some endurance as well.

The good old 3 sets of 10 is there as well. The other routines will really help you mix it up so it's not so boring.

I like to do 3 exercises per muscle group if possible. I also try to focus mainly on compound exercises like presses, rows, lifts, squats, etc, instead of isolation moves like flys and raises and curls. Your body generally uses multiple muscle groups to do anything so why not train them that way. Isolation is good to build up weak spots and to give a little more detailed focus on full range of motion than some of the compound moves can give.

Everybody is different so how your body will respond to each of these types of work outs will be different. Do which ever one works for you and you like doing. Play around with them all and see what works.

I ordered 2 Yoga for Scuba books on-line (one for me & another for a gift). Looking forward to using! Thanks!!

I ordered 2 Yoga for Scuba books on-line (one for me & another for a gift). Looking forward to using! Thanks!!

Excellent, thank you. Let us know what you think. We're very excited to get feedback.

Good luck with your winter training program!

I'm still doing my exercise routines and etc. Its not like I have to turn off the RoyN machine now. :)

Exercise, and staying fit is important to a scuba diver...
better to be in shape than have a heart attack underwater from lack of exercise.
I see a lot of over weight divers out there and its scary at times.
guys keep and stay fit for life! I know its always a committment to do, but its the best way to keep your body safe for diving. I work out three days a week at the gym then run on tread mill opposite days.

Back
Top Bottom