Wired sync cable question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's just that the Ikelite strobes probably will not be usable on a different brand of housing. You're kind of locked in to Ikelite housings, unless you sell the strobes and get different ones. If Ikelite makes a housing for your future camera, great, but if not, too bad.

In general, I don't believe the above statement to be true. Ikelite sells an adapter that will connect to a standard Nikonos bulkhead and to an Ikelite sync cable. I use one with my Aquatica housing, Nikon SLR and Ike strobes. The adapter allows you to choose either TTL or manual strobe operation. I know that they work with Nikons. Not sure about other models.

In general, I don't believe the above statement to be true. Ikelite sells an adapter that will connect to a standard Nikonos bulkhead and to an Ikelite sync cable. I use one with my Aquatica housing, Nikon SLR and Ike strobes. The adapter allows you to choose either TTL or manual strobe operation. I know that they work with Nikons. Not sure about other models.

You are correct. For certain Nikon digital cameras, if your housing has a Nikonos style bulkhead, then you can buy the Ikelite iTTL Converter for about $360 that will allow the Ikelite DS strobes to plug in and work TTL.
Ikelite Nikon iTTL Adapter - Nikonos Connectors - Lighting Accessories - Strobes - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!
Also Sea&Sea and others make outboard TTL converters for Nikon and Canon (about $600), but most have a Nikonos connector, so you would need a Nikonos to Ikelite DS cord too. Heinrichs Weikamp makes a TTL converter for Olympus too (about $300).

So yes, with additional investment the Ikelite strobes will work on selected Nikon, Canon and Olympus systems using non-Ikelite housings.

Instead, for about $450, you can buy an excellent optically triggered strobe and have no cord O-rings to worry about. There is a tradeoff between preserving your investment in Ikelite strobes by buying the converter and spending a little more for a more convenient setup.

I'm not knocking Ikelite. They supply excellent products with excellent support, and if your entire system is Ikelite, all's well. When you mix brands, do not assume everything will work together. Be darned sure you have tested everything and understand the limitations.

Back
Top Bottom