wireless transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pudsky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am wondering what the best thing to do while traveling with my regs? Since the wireless transmitter is hooked up the way it is, should I just leave it connected to my 1st stage reg, or should I remove it while traveling? Also, if I do remove it, should the open port in the 1st stage be plugged?

I do have a padded reg case, but since the transmitter sticks out like it does, should I be worried about it breaking off if the case getts dropped or mishandled? I do carry my regs and computer on the plane with me, but there is always the chance I would be required to check that bag.

I would like to get some input as to what other people are doing, and some good pros and cons of removing the transmitter, and leaving it attached.

Thanks, Pudsky

I am wondering what the best thing to do while traveling with my regs? Since the wireless transmitter is hooked up the way it is, should I just leave it connected to my 1st stage reg, or should I remove it while traveling? Also, if I do remove it, should the open port in the 1st stage be plugged?

I do have a padded reg case, but since the transmitter sticks out like it does, should I be worried about it breaking off if the case getts dropped or mishandled? I do carry my regs and computer on the plane with me, but there is always the chance I would be required to check that bag.

I would like to get some input as to what other people are doing, and some good pros and cons of removing the transmitter, and leaving it attached.

Thanks, Pudsky

For the reasons you state and with regard to airline's current weght restrictions I would highly recomend carrying-on your reg's and computers....

Also, if you remove the transmitter, put in the plug. Carry-on is the best way to go.

I either put the regs in their reg bag and then a hard shell suitcase, or carry on. With my luck I would loose the thing if I removed it.

Don't know if it's the best thing but I usually remove it from the reg and plug the port (to make sure nothing will get in the 1st stage). I usually don't travel with the reg in my carry-on since I'm afraid some TSA a*********** will make me throw it away. But I keep the transmitter + computer on me. Not sure if I shouldn't more afraid about the airline losing my stuff though.

Don't forget your allen key to put it back together before diving if you do that, although if you forget it any dive shop where you're going will probably have a few sets.

I keep mine in the reg and carry it on with me. When the reg is at home though I take the battery out of the transmitter so it won't explode and ruin it.

Thanks for the replys. I have and always will pack my regs and computer in my carry-on. I think I did not word my question correctly. I was wondering what people did with their transmitters. Left them on, or took them off the 1st stage. I think I will start removing the transmitter and plugging the port on the 1st stage. I don't like the idea of the transmitter breaking off. That would be an expensive repair.

keep it on and carry on your regs.

I have traveled with my regs and transmitter no problem. When you start removing and replacing the transmitter you will start to deteriorate the threads and therefore your tight, secure connection. Not only this but you will waste a lot of lubricant for the threads that you are supposed to use. As long as you keep your regs on your person and are careful with them, there should be no issue.

My two regs (primary with attached wireless transmitter) and pony bottle backup reg go into my square dive case along with my mask, wrist computer, and dive light. I zip it closed and slide it into one of the larger pockets on a shoulder backpack along with travel documents, my laptop, and any other crucial things that never leave my sight except for the 30 seconds or so it disappears into the xray scanner, and even then I'm peering through one end of the machine...lol

P.S. I used to mount my BC knife to my reg and forgot it was there once. A bit of a hassle which ended in the security personnel confiscating my knife and doing a body cavity search.

Ok there was no body cavity search but I had to give up the knife.

Back
Top Bottom