Wireless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm wondering how far away in the future it is until we see a transmitter small enough to be imbedded in the first stage, along with having the conventional HP ports as well. . .

Kevrumbo:
I'm wondering how far away in the future it is until we see a transmitter small enough to be imbedded in the first stage, along with having the conventional HP ports as well. . .

I think embedding the unit would make changing batteries a major PITA.

*Floater*:
I think embedding the unit would make changing batteries a major PITA.
nah, solar power. During SIT you just let it sit in the sun.... or a mini fission reactor...oh no, that would make the first stage too bulky.. entanglement hazard.

onfloat:
The thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread. The wireless transmitter is only good for the set of tanks or tank that it's attached to. For complex dives there is a couple or three tanks each with their own SPG. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most compters only work with one transmitter at a time. Why spend all that money for something like that?
There are quite a number of higher end computers that can handle up to three transmitters. Uwatec, Suunto and Oceanic all come to mind as having such models, and I suspect there are others.

That said, any dive complex enough to need that much gas management won't likely be relying on a computer. And since the transmitter is providing redundant information anyway... *shrug*

In any event, I believe the situation being examined is whether or not it is necessary/worthwhile to remove the transmitter (ostensibly actually utilized solely during rec dives) while undertaking tech dives (and adhering to DIR teachings during the course of those dives), where the information would be redundant. In such a situation, the money had already been spent (for rec diving purposes), so the cost factor is irelevant.

The Oceanic Atom 2.0 can be used with 3 transmitters at once.

Yeah I remember that model . . .but now I'm talking about a greater degree of miniaturization with a much smaller nacelle for the HP telemetry transmitter (something that doesn't protrude or stick out like a sore thumb). . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom