Wireless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
And what stroke of a burger-eating-moron established that? Whomever it was, he (or she) doesn’t have a small fraction of the GD brains that an amoeba is born with.
Are we reading the same thread? :shakehead

Yea, but I was just doing my best GI rant. See, it was so good that you took it seriously.

I don't see why anyone cares what he says. He's old news.

SparticleBrane:
I don't see why anyone cares what he says. He's old news.

GI's communication techniques may overpower the content, but I would not be too quick to dismiss his knowledge or experience. The man's done the dives, and returned to tell the tale.

Tobin

Thalassamania:
And what stroke of a burger-eating-moron established that? Whomever it was, he (or she) doesn’t have a small fraction of the GD brains that an amoeba is born with.

I don’t want to be compliant I want to be complacent, errr… incompetent, er … incontinent er … intercontinental ... whatever.

It doesn’t need to come off, it needs to get off.

And that’s MY full-DIC (Do It Correctly) stance on the subject!

***?! Did you eat a transmitter?

Thalassamania:
Yea, but I was just doing my best GI rant. See, it was so good that you took it seriously.
Ok, thanks for the explanation... but for those of us new to the party... what the heck are you folks talking about?

cool_hardware52:
GI's communication techniques may overpower the content, but I would not be too quick to dismiss his knowledge or experience. The man's done the dives, and returned to tell the tale.
Tobin

Oh usually I think the content and his points are excellent. But I just think it's old news about the way they're presented. Most of these things we see are what...5 to 10 years old?

CompuDude:
I think in the end it depends entirely on how closely you intend to adhere to the DIR rules and regs. If you want to be 100% compliant at all times, you need to take the transmitter off. It has been established that the "bulk" of the transmitter introduces a point of failure (however minor), an entanglement hazard (however minor) and is not considered necessary, and thus it should be left behind per DIR philosophy.

If, however, you decide you want to be compliant only during team technical dives with a greater degree of risk, and less compliant on easy reef dives with no overhead issues, then you could perhaps leave the transmitter attached, whether you pay attention to it or not... but in that case you are purposely breaking the "rules", the way I read things.

And this is the crutch of the whole thing....

Yes DIR exists, but it seems that many forgot where it came from. Some serious cave diving, there was no standard amongst divers and hence a system was devised to address the needs of the dives at hand.

Over the last few years it evolved to include OW and other technical dives.

There are many die hard total adherence DIR divers (some actually trained, others just taking over the gear config and some summary protocols) that will not deviate from the set standards.

I was taught to be a 'thinking diver'. What this means is that you adapt to the circumstances you dive in. Not always does total adherence apply.

I am not saying that everyone should just do what they please while diving under the DIR banner. That would negate what it set out to do: consistency. But lets me honest. Is a wireless transmitter going to be an issue in OW diving? (looking only at the 'bulk', not the failure point). In cave diving I would seriously think about it.

Heck I have seen GUE instructors, WKPP divers 'crawl' out of high flow caves almost vertically. None of the 'always stay horizontal' ascends..... hang deco on ledges. It just did not make sense to do it as on the net and in the video

I believe DIR to be a dive method that sets a standard (in protocols, gear etc), with people having the ability to adapt to the circumstances.

DIR seems to have come 360 degrees where it actually wanted to get away from: switching the brain off.

There are too many divers now who call themselves DIR and do not think about what they are doing, diving and what would be the best approach... the brain is switched off. They blindly follow set rules and struggle through the dive when it may be easier to address the issue at hand.

Does this make me DIR, do I still dive DIR? Who knows....... I am sure many think not. And that is fine too.

It's not trolling if we all thinks it's funny :) I got it without even seeing his second post and I don't even know the guy... or GI. But I do like GI's responses to things.

Chris

The thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread. The wireless transmitter is only good for the set of tanks or tank that it's attached to. For complex dives there is a couple or three tanks each with their own SPG. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most compters only work with one transmitter at a time. Why spend all that money for something like that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom