Wish me luck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideband

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Tomorrow is my moment of truth. Sat. and Sun. are my open water dives. We will be out at Hague quarry in Kankakee. IL.
I've got those pre-test jitters but I know I'll do good once I calm down. Once I get past the mask clearing I'm past anything that I expect to cause me any grief. I've been practicing every weekend and think..no..am sure I can do it. Anyway, here goes. Thanks for all of the help everyone has been. Especially the times when I gave an opinion and someone else said they agreed. That's a real confidence builder. Just to show how much, I signed up for a nitrox course today. Nitrox wouldn't do me much good if I didn't think I could do this. I'll write it all up tomorrow when I get back.
Till then,

Joe

Hey, good luck -- and let's know how you like it. I have no doubts that you'll do fine and that when the weekend is over, you'll be thinking "hey that was fun" and start planning for your next divetrip rather than "ohh, I am glad it's over".

Well, I guess you're already at the hole? Hope the viz and temp were tolerable. If not, don't worry; it gets a lot better in the Caribbean.

You'll do fine. Take your time, speed comes with time. Let us know how it went.

it is normal to be a little nervous
30 dives later I still am a wound up just before entry to water
once under calm ,don't ask me why
good luck hope you have fun

Good luck! Just take your time, have fun, and try not to kiss any fishes. :eyebrow:

:dazzler1: I love diving! :dazzler1:
Ok. Here goes.
I was in the afternoon class but decided to get out there a little early to watch some of the other groups. The morning class had run into a few snags and was running late so I had a chance to talk to everyone during their surface interval. They had 2 people "panic" during the mask clearing. That was my weak spot so I wasn't overjoyed to hear that. One of them decided to stay and try again with our group and did fine. The other opted for some more pool time first. This all worked out well and gave us an even 10 divers, no including instructor and DMs. We swam out to the float marking the platform we were going to use and formed up. They were going to take us down 2 at a time and guess who was first... Yup. Me and my buddy. I took a deep breath to calm myself, vented air, exhaled and down I went. The water was cold but not bad at 64 deg. down to about 20'. We got to the platform and kneeled on the ledge. I did a quick guage check and HOLY COW! 500psi of air gone already. I know some of it was because of the cool water and the hot fill but still... I concentrated on my breathing a bit and minute by minute I started to get less and less floaty and settled in while the rest of the group came down. I started noticing all of the fish. This is really cool. We went through the basic skills and none of us had any problems. The instructor shook our hand and paired us up with a DM for a little site seeing. This is where this buoyancy control stuff I kept hearing everyone talking about hit me and I realized that some of that would be really nice right about now. I was constantly just off the bottom, stirring up my share of muck, while my buddy kept floating up. I was pretty much keeping pace with the DM but I had to keep stopping and looking back for my buddy. I never let him get more than about 10 feet away but I kind of wished he'd keep up. I reminded myself that at least he wasn't on the bottom like I was and probably felt like he was better able to keep me in his sight if he was above and behind. I played a bit with adding air to the BCD and got up in the water a bit just as it was time to turn and go back. It wasn't intentional on the DMs part, but I got to see first hand what I had kicked up. It wasn't horrid, but I became much more aware after that. We made our way to the rock crusher and then followed the line back to the ramp. I ended the dive with right at 400psi. I was the group airhog. (being out of shape and smoking didn't help a bit I'm sure..working on both btw)
The first words out of my mouth after I surfaced was, "Life is good!" I guess it was louder than I thought because several divers on shore asked if I was the guy that enjoyed myself so much out there. :)
During our SIT I got everyone to agree to hang out after we were done to all go for dinner together, which we did. I think we had as much fun there as we did in the water. It's a good group. As this is getting pretty long I'll just say that the second dive went very well but I know several things I really need to work on. The first is going to be ascent rate. I looked at my computer while we were eating and every ascent was too fast. I'll get it. We have 2 more dives tomorrow and if all goes well, which I expect it will, severalof us have talked about going out again next weekend. Then there are the millions of dives I'll be doing after that. :eyebrow:
Thanks for the well wishes. Tomorrow I'll be a card carrying, honest to goodness diver. One with a lot to learn but I look forward to every lesson.

Joe

Great sounds like you had a great time. Looks like you caught the bug!! After tomorrow it is time to dip into those savings and get some gear.

NINman:
Great sounds like you had a great time. Looks like you caught the bug!! After tomorrow it is time to dip into those savings and get some gear.

I've already dipped. I own everything except a tank and a light. Considering my current air consumption I'm thinking about getting a LP steel 95+ or 100+. It will keep me from cutting the other divers bottom times short now, and will give me normal bottom times even on a short fill later.

I wanted to learn in my own gear.

Sideband:
:dazzler1: I love diving! :dazzler1:

Joe

I love it when that happens! Welcome to the best, Joe! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom