Wolff-Parkinson-White

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sarasmile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had an abnormal EKG a couple weeks ago saying that I have Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome. I'm hoping this is a mistake and am having further testing this week, but I'm A-symptomatic and have been on many dives prior to finding this out.

Anyone have any advice? Cardiac ablation?

Sara

It's easily fixed. I'm not a doctor and I guess I shouldn't even be responding to you but my sister had it and I know what they did in her case.

What they did was to insert some kind of instrument into the artery in her leg. I think it was something like a laser, which they used to zap the spot where the short-circuit was happening (great technical details, eh? :)). After that it was gone. I don't know how severe her case was but I know that she was having a lot of trouble with it. If you're asymptomatic they may just give you a medical-alert bracelet, but now i'm totally out of my depth so i should shut up.

IIRC, her doctor also said that it's possibly inherited, so you might consider getting your kids tested.

R..

hey there.

so i just so happen to be in the situation of not only having a family history of wpw, but also being the person you'd come to if intervention was deemed necessary.

i'm sure you're more than capable of finding the medical literature online, but the summary is that wpw gives you a higher shot of your heart beat becomming irregular. in terms of diving, this is bad. an irregular heart beat means that you could black out, and underwater that of course is quite dangerous.

you essentially have three treatment options
1) do nothing. honestly, you said you're symptom free, so why fix what aint broke?
2) take daily medication to lower your heart rate and/or antiarthymatics. it won't fix anything, but it decreases the chance of your heart rate getting too out of control.
3) have a procedure called an ablation. ablations are, as described above, a procedure where a radiologist inserts various wires and catheters in to your aorta via your femoral artery. the wires are fed up and in to your heart where the special tips are manipulated to burn off part of your sinoatrial node. they kill a little at a time until you are in a perfect sinus rhythm. This sounds like a great thing, i'm sure, but you have to remember that every procedure has it's risks. with an ablation, your risks run from the serious, death, to more moderate where the procedure simply doesn't work.

Please, consult a cardiologist if you are woried about your ecg results, and be sure to inform him/her that you are a scuba diver, but since you've said you're symptom free, i suspect they will not worry about the results too much.

cheers.

Hey thanks Diver0001 and sharkcandy! I am seeing a cardiologist and he has scheduled me for a thallium stress test this week.

I haven't ever gotten dizzy or blacked out. I get a little anxious sometimes, but now that i know about it, it makes me a little stressed to think about what could happen while I'm diving.

No-one in my family has it that I know of. Like I said I'm hoping it was a fluke since it is pretty rare from what I understand.

Sharkcandy, I'm with you on--if it ain't broke don't fix it, but what is the longterm outcome if I don't. I read it could lead to congestive heart failure or just sudden death.

Thanks for your input,

Sara

I had an ablation for AVNRT...a short circuit there from birth. I had to get rid of fainting spells. I was terrified about it, but mine was successful and "cured" me..no meds or anything.

I would advise getting a high tech young wiz kid with at least 200 cases under his belt. (the technology is fairy new, at least the computer end)

It can be "messed up", although rare. Worst case scenario is you buy yourself a pacemaker. (they can ablate the intrinsic pathway, thats bad)

I think they use radio wave type frequency.

It's a great procedure, get a doctor who loves doing these, loves the technology...my guy was from Barnes. :ezpi_hear

Be prepared to go through "some head trips" if you have never had your heart be an issue before. For example, I have been conscious of almost every beat since this was first diagnosed 5 years ago, and its totally a mental preoccupation. Not even really negative, like worry, just wierd. I would say I now have a "heart preoccupation" and its not totally negative. HR monitors, exercise, etc. Good luck, don't worry...be glad they have this amazing technology.

radiologist inserts various wires and catheters in to your aorta via your femoral artery.

good description, but I am not sure that it's a radiologists. (maybe he puts in the shunt) I think you want a
Interventional Cardiologist, the electrophysiology and mapping of the heart's cunduction system is very sophisticated, and it is done during the procedure.

For anyone in the Dallas area, Francis Ngo was my guy and was thoroughly investigated by physician family members. A real wiz and gets good outcomes.

Catherine thanks for the info. A pacemaker would be very bad for me--I'm an MRI tech and that would pretty much put me out of being in MRI anymore.

I can imagine about the head trip I've been a-symptomatic but the past couple of weeks, I feel like my heart is beating faster and faster.

First, I guess I should make sure the tests come out the same as the EKG then go from there, but it's been all that's on my mind. I haven't ever had surgery and am quite terrified to have anyone messing with my heart -even if it's just a catheter and wire.

Did you feel okay immediately after the procedure? Thanks again.

Sara

Sarasmile:
I can imagine about the head trip I've been a-symptomatic but the past couple of weeks, I feel like my heart is beating faster and faster.

I can totally relate to this.... Eating at McDonalds makes me feel like I should have cancer.... :wink:

...snip....

Did you feel okay immediately after the procedure? Thanks again.

Sara

In my sister's case it was just a matter of a a couple of days. She told me that the worst thing about it was being put into a ward with people who had serious heart problems. her roommate died the night before they did it, which didn't do much for her mental frame of mind...

R..

terrified to have anyone messing with my heart -even if it's just a catheter and wire.

exactly how I felt. Be prepared, don't let your mind take over. Mine was easy breasy.

I felt great imediately! When I think about the drama and the fuss I created.....oh my. They say I can not return to the same hospital twice.

I might as well disclose what an idiot I was. I was fainting about once a month right before the procedure. In stores, in my car, and I was in a bit of denial. "They" just wanted to overtreat me because of my husband, etc...bordered on paranoia. I insisted that it was just stress of a divorce, etc. So..then I think I will die from the procedure and I have to get to Palau first. So..I go there and dive like a fiend for three weeks.
I never had a problem horizontally (mine was triggered from low atrial filling pressures).

I can't expain it, I HAD to do it before "going under". eye roll x ten

I was very dramatic about the whole thing. And it was very easy. Amazing procedure, some of the best modern medicine has to offer.
I feel like a fool looking back at the whole thing, the mortality crisis I had.

So...don't bother putting yourself through all that, if you can help it.

My advice is do not drive yourself crazy. Find an experienced doctor who has done many with good results. (IF that's where this takes you)

aloha

Rob..you and I probably should not watch re-runs of "Supersize Me".

Hope you are hip to hydrogenated oil now!

catherine96821:
Hope you are hip to hydrogenated oil now!

I'm Mr. Omega-3. If I didn't have to spend so much time working I'd be one very HOT 40 year old.... (if that's possible) :D Failing that I'll have to have faith in my personality and my conviction that I'll live to at least 100...

R..

Back
Top Bottom