Woman dead, husband injured on 230 meter dive - Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the question is does it belong in A&I. Arguably at this point it's an "A" when the diver comes back up alive and well.

I think the question is does it belong in A&I. Arguably at this point it's an "A" when the diver comes back up alive and well.

Not sure I get your point. What am I missing here?

One woman dies, one man comes up bent? That's and A and I no?

Who came back alive and well?

Her exact words are: "[for people who want to increase their limits] there are master classes. Master classes include planning and executing dives deeper than 100m, whereas the certification in technical diving is to 90m. There is no certification for diving beyond 90m."

TDI's depth limit for Advanced Trimix divers is 100m (330ft), so she is almost correct. The 90m (300ft) depth limit is PADI's certification limit (TECHNICAL DIVING TEC TRIMIX), and she was a PADI Technical instructor (Scuba Diving in Greece with Atlantis Diving Center).

What I wonder is what "master classes" for diving deeper than 100m might she be referring to?

IANTD has an "Expedition Trimix" program, which certifies a diver to 400'. I know a couple of people that have taken the course.

IANTD World Headquarters - Expedition Trimix Diver (OC, Rebreather)

Not sure I get your point. What am I missing here?

One woman dies, one man comes up bent? That's and A and I no?

Who came back alive and well?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is the point. According to M-W an accident is
an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance
I don't have the cite handy, it may have been linked from the Dr. Deep thread, I think it was: from dives below 200 m half don't come back, half of those who do come back crippled. If that's true, "unforseen" or "unexpected" would be coming up alive and well.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is the point. According to M-W an accident is I don't have the cite handy, it may have been linked from the Dr. Deep thread, I think it was: from dives below 200 m half don't come back, half of those who do come back crippled. If that's true, "unforseen" or "unexpected" would be coming up alive and well.

Agh, just wait a minute. I have friends that have dived below 200m or thereabouts (while not trying to to set records, nor even 'publicising' their dives, but exploring) and have come back alive and well. May I suggest you do not project your own limitations onto the 'adventourness / expectations' of others who actually planed their dives and accept the consequnces, should things go wrong (which in the cases I am alluding to tney didn't).

Identify the risk, accept (or not) the risk, and then manage the risk was what I was taught.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom