Woman Drowned - Whitsundays Au

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, and it is a 20 year old girl, the locals are upset with the charters, they have had a few accidents lately, well I guess it is spring break and divers are having holiday.

Happy Diving

Excerpting from Tragic backpacker was first-time diver - National News, Frontpage - Herald.ie
"The person involved was on a resort introductory dive," he explained.

"She was not an experienced diver. She became lost from the group.

"There were three divers and the instructor, but the rest of them surfaced and she wasn't on the surface."
But excerpting from Woman who drowned in Australia scuba accident from Donegal · TheJournal I get the idea that she was in actual OW training...
She was on the second day of a three-day course, with about a dozen other tourists, when she failed to resurface after a dive at around 4pm on Monday.

How does a resort diver become separated from the group?!??!! This is suposed to be nearly "risk free". The DM's or instructors involved with the dive is in BIG sh!t!!!!

My thoughts are with the family/friends. Very sad indeed.

How does a resort diver become separated from the group?!??!! This is suposed to be nearly "risk free". The DM's or instructors involved with the dive is in BIG sh!t!!!!

My thoughts are with the family/friends. Very sad indeed.
Yeah my resort dive was one on one but I think an Inst/DM can take two. Maybe it wasn't a resort dive as we know it, but the official or reporter calling it that...
But excerpting from Woman who drowned in Australia scuba accident from Donegal · TheJournal I get the idea that she was in actual OW training...

never mind, sorry (I guess it's not possible to delete a post?)

I didn't take it as a OW course. Looking at the site they offer a intro or a guide for certified divers.
Participate in an introductory (minimum 20 minutes) or certified scuba dive aboard your chosen yacht on one of our scheduled departures or private charters.
I read that as a DS or resort course.

“However diving is an adventure activity and as such there are some inherent risks.”
Yes there are inherent risks, but those should not include the the risk of your instructor losing you!

Back
Top Bottom