Woman rescued near San Clemente Island - California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul, I left that segment of time deliberately vague as I wasn't there {at the swim step} to see it happen... and the now-recovered victim doesn't remember.

As I said, I think there'll be some definite lessons-learned to come out of this, but I want to avoid conjecturing what happened back there off the swim step.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bill

Last edited:
Amazing job by everyone involved in rescuing the diver! The fact that viz was good, that there were 4 divers already near the bottom to notice the diver's precarious situation, that there was a doctor on board to assist were fortunate circumstances. The fact that three of the divers had rescue training revived the non-responsive, non-breathing diver just speaks to their heroic efforts and excellent training.

Hatul, I left that segment of time deliberately vague as I wasn't there to see it happen... and the now-recovered-victim doesn't remember.

As I said, I think there'll be some definite lessons-learned to come out of this, but I want to avoid conjecturing what happened back there off the swim step.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bill

Just to clarify: Ultimately, five of us came to the surface with her. My buddy and I were at the bottom. I was exactly at her depth: 82'. Another diver was at 40' when he dropped to help. His buddy went to the surface for help. Another two dropped from the surface.

It is standard procedure for us to fill our BC's before jumping in and wait for our buddy. I can't speak to why she didn't fill it on the surface because I was at the bottom, but her BC was empty as I filled it at the bottom.

Amazing job by everyone involved in rescuing the diver! The fact that viz was good, that there were 4 divers already near the bottom to notice the diver's precarious situation, that there was a doctor on board to assist were fortunate circumstances. The fact that three of the divers had rescue training revived the non-responsive, non-breathing diver just speaks to their heroic efforts and excellent training.

I think that the reason there were three Rescue Divers in the water and everyone functioned like a machine, Is because Bill runs a club where the members actually dive, a lot! And that coupled with training, good dive buddy skills, and an overall caring community make Powerscuba top notch! Sadly, something happened on that swim step that no one may ever know! I think the thing to take away from all of this is as a diver you must be prepared to care of yourself! With that said sharpening buddy skills, not entering the water until both of you are kitted up, going through your routine to make sure all of your equipment and your buddies is functioning, and barring unconsciousness from a whack to the head or something prior to entering the water, STOP, BREATHE (recover Regulator) Think, Act (Drop Weights), Its easy to assume things just work , and get lazy, the answer is none of us can last very long underwater without AIR, we need to never get sloppy!

Thanks for the clarification. And, super effort TGIF858!

Oftentimes, I read accident/incident accounts with bad outcomes and sometimes wonder how useful buddies are in practice. I try to learn from the reports but it can also be depressing. This incidence shows the positive outcome that results when competent divers watch out for each other.

Just to clarify: Ultimately, five of us came to the surface with her. My buddy and I were at the bottom. I was exactly at her depth: 82'. Another diver was at 40' when he dropped to help. His buddy went to the surface for help. Another two dropped from the surface.

It is standard procedure for us to fill our BC's before jumping in and wait for our buddy. I can't speak to why she didn't fill it on the surface because I was at the bottom, but her BC was empty as I filled it at the bottom.

Was her valve turned on? And if yes what problem did she have that she could not breathe and fill her BC?

Yes ! I have often thought there might be a good reason to have a buddy /buddies ....
Especially when they are well trained !

Well done you guys for rescuing the 'Rag doll" diver , bringing her to the surface quickly , and for not giving up on her ! Your group acted like a well oiled machine. It is great to get this good news !

Power SCUBA is a well run group with members that are serious about diving and well trained. Kudos to Bill and the divers involved in this rescue. I'm a member but live too far from San Diego to take advantage of many of the opportunities provided by the group.

Was her valve turned on? And if yes what problem did she have that she could not breathe and fill her BC?
Her valve was turned on because her BC immediately began to fill when I depressed the inflate button.
I can't speak about what happened on the surface, but she couldn't breath and fill her BC at the bottom because she was unconscious, not breathing and her regulator was not in her mouth.

Last edited:
Her valve was turned on because her BC immediately began to fill when I depressed the inflate button.
I can't speak about what happened on the surface, but she couldn't breath and fill her BC at the bottom because she was unconscious, not breathing and her regulator was not in her mouth.

Either she had a medical issue or jumped in with reg out of mouth and near drowned.

Back
Top Bottom