wont fill my tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Sherman this issue came up before. If you look at Jimbo's reply you'll probably have your answer.

Acording to what I was told when I took an old U.S. Divers tank to Maui Dive Shop in Kihei, they don't fill tanks older than a certain date. The date may be different for steel or al. My friend that owns that tank lives on the West Side and for all I know she was able to get them to fill it, with a wink and a smile. You girls are so lucky!

i had a tank for nitrox that certain shops wouldn't fill because they weren't 100% O2 lubricated/cleaned. The dive shop that prepped my tanks for nitrox went out of business. I just made my tank reg air ready now.

ch0ppersrule:
i had a tank for nitrox that certain shops wouldn't fill because they weren't 100% O2 lubricated/cleaned. The dive shop that prepped my tanks for nitrox went out of business. I just made my tank reg air ready now.

On that note. Does anybody know why no shops on the island bank 32% and 36%nitrox? do they know they would probably make a lot more money selling it if they did, since people wouldn't have to have a pair of dedicated tanks and wouldn't have to pay $12-14/tank for nitrox? Heck I would pay $6-8 a fill if I could just use my regular tanks, but I as much as I like to use it I don't that often, due to the cost and inconvenience of having to go and rent tanks and then return them again later.

Hint, hint for you LDSs out there on Oahu.

Last I read from Luxfer the eddy test was ONLY for tanks with that aluminum alloy that was prone to cracking (6531?) - if used on other types of AL tanks it tends to give false readings, even on new tanks.

soudan:
did you have the Visually Plus done on it?

the Visual includes the inspector looking inside your tank making sure your tank is corrosion free, and changing the O-rings and putting silicone grease on them.

the PLUS is something called EDDY CURRENT TEST which is a test to the neck of your tank making sure no cracks are available in the neck of your tank. a threaded plastic device is screwed where your valve goes (on the neck) then it tests. eddy current tests by sending electromagnetic waves to measure certain material characteristics of metals, therefore showing internal cracks that you will not notice with your eyes.

some shops will not fill your tanks because there was no Eddy current done on the tank and if any thing might happen to your tank (explode) while filling it up in their shop than it is a danger to them.

I am guessing that is why they didn't fill it for you.

rockjock3:
On that note. Does anybody know why no shops on the island bank 32% and 36%nitrox? do they know they would probably make a lot more money selling it if they did, since people wouldn't have to have a pair of dedicated tanks and wouldn't have to pay $12-14/tank for nitrox? Heck I would pay $6-8 a fill if I could just use my regular tanks, but I as much as I like to use it I don't that often, due to the cost and inconvenience of having to go and rent tanks and then return them again later.

Hint, hint for you LDSs out there on Oahu.

I built a continous mixer for a certain local shop so they could start banking %32, but it's still sitting in my garage. (6 months after it was done.) Now they are concerned that the compressor itself may not be able to handle the elevated O2 being pumped thorugh it.

I have heard that the shop across from Fort Shafter has a membrane and can pump %32, I have not verified it though.

Yup, sounds like OC to me... Totally clueless... I planned on bringing a steel 72 to them to see what they would do

Been thinking about a Stik myself...but don't really want to put down the money for a compressor right now (I am still kicking myself in the *** for selling my old one).

fishb0y:
Yup, sounds like OC to me... Totally clueless... I planned on bringing a steel 72 to them to see what they would do

Bring'em your gear from 1939 and ask them to service it--bring a camera too I want to see their faces when you pose said proposition.

Easy enough to build especially if you use the whiffle ball method (no drilling no glueing no nothing...30 mins tops).

Back
Top Bottom