Woo Hoo!!!!!!!! I'm done!!!!!! Warning: long but proud of myself so I gotta tell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frenchy07

Reaction score
Hello all. Been hanging around here for a couple of months and am proud to say that I am finally OW certified!!! Horray for me!!! LOL. I started preparing for this last fall (decided to expand my horizons) and started getting healthier (lost 80 lbs last fall with 60 to 80 still to go to be real happy). Did my class and pool work back in May and have been waiting for the time to get away and finish up. Completed last weekend @ Beaver so now I can offically say I am a Muck Diver with pride (hands in air, jumping up and down with pride).

Started my weekend with the usual (I guess) 10% weight (never wore that much in the pool but thats what the DM said I should have on) 30 Lbs. Floundered around like a rock and sucked down a tank in 28 minutes. Said this isn't going to work and dropped to 24 lbs for dive #2.

Much better and a lot less stone like (ended @ 30 minutes with 1500lbs of air and a lot more comfy). Did the weight belt stuff and dropped that 12 Lbs in the weight locker and stared putting some back in my trim pockets.

Did dive # 3 with 20 lbs, 12 in back trims 8 in pockets (ended dive @ 30 min with 1800 lbs of air).

End day 1

Day 2

Dive 4: 18 lbs of weight (this is starting to get real fun). Did our navigation (and returned within 2 feet of where I started) played with some perch, took a little tour of the traing area and finished dive @ 27 min with 1900 lbs of air.

Dive 5, Fun dive with buddy: Another 2 Lbs off of me (16 lbs this time, 12 in the trim pockets and 2 in each pocket). Toured the training area. Had a big ole carp follow us around for most of this trip (the more the merrier, right?) 29 min with 2000 lbs of air left.

Had lunch, refilled tank and went out with the instructor, DM's and others to have some fun.

Missed the bus (those who have been to beaver know where I am), water real stirred up by another group that was leaving as we got there. Wandered around for a bit, found the bus (accidentlly, no reason to lie) and headed back to the foundations. Still wearing the 16lbs (forgot in my excitement to drop some more) and ended with 900 lbs, 45 min, max depth 47 feet, 60 degrees temp.

Now, how the hell do I get my ear to return to normal? Gonna take a couple of days? Can't wait to go again, would go tomorrow if schedule would allow. Thinking of quiting my job so I can spend more time acting like a fish :) .

As you can tell I had a blast and can't wait to go again. I can now honestlly say I am addicted!!!

Thanks for listening,
Brian aka Frenchy07
Wichita, Ks (the area at least)

welcome to a new way of life...congrats on not only your OW cert, but also on dropping all that weight, from the natural and artificial belt.

Congrats. Welcome to the club. Now your main mission is to ensure the blood level in your nitrogen stream doesn't get to high. lol

Congrats! Good luck on now being able to explore the main part of this world, the area covered in water. :)

-Eric.

If it helps you feel any better, our 14 yr. old, 90 lb. son just got his OW last month, and had to wear 24 lbs. of weight to overcome the shorty and 7mm. farmer john set that he wore on his quarry dives. (It may have been July, but the water temp was still 55-ish below the thermocline in Chicago!) I'm about 110 lbs, and had 26 lbs. on my weight belt to offset my farmer johns.... Needless to say, we like warm water diving better. If you're already addicted in Kansas, just wait until you get farther south!

Congrats on dropping the extra weight! There is so much out there in the water that will fascinate you and teach you as well. Lots of safe diving....Maria

never been to the bus on beaver , havent got its location....
i dive the dam site alot if your in the little gravel pull off right before you pass by the picnic areas , and then the dam itself , 270 degrees off the big tree by the most worn shore entrance and im guessing 70 yards out will put you "right on" the training pad. i usually put a bouy up there and swim the boat trail surrounding it (you cant miss the trail all the boats are tied off to each other by cave line). i did my checkouts there and i love the spot. btw congrats on your ow cert friend , pm me if your ever interested in hitting beaver or someplace else. i know of a few good spots on beaver , twin coves is a great shore diving spot if you like seeing lots of kentucky smallmouth and flatheads , i love the terrain on the bottom there , lots of drops just off the bank , lots of boulders to swim over and around , trees spaced in a way to not be a total snag fest . a really great spot to work on buoyancy control and trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom