WOO HOO, TG7 announced!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An honest question as I
Here is the evidence right here on SB that competition with iPhones is tough even underwater: Alternative to Olympus TG6
An honest question as I sit here holding my iPhone, how would I run strobes? I have no interest in video, will not take video and will not look at anyone else's videos. I do photography only and I need strobes? Did I mention I hate videos and especially other peoples videos? I do not even know how to take a video with my Nauticam, I guess it can do it -----. I have some GoPros but not sure where I tossed them aside.

I agree somewhat with the linked thread that by the time a stable tray is added sufficient to carry two strobes the form factor of the TG6/7 is larger than my mirrorless Nautican NA6400. And very much less capable. But I am still of the mind that a Pro level Tough camera is needed to move beyond cell phone snappies. Cell phones do take good pictures, whatever good is. But as soon as I want something different than what the cell phone thinks I should want, we have a disagreement, that is me and the cell phone and probably the same with an auto only TG.

I guess I am splitting the fence, I think there is a niche for a Tough type camera but to differentiate it's capabilities from that of a cell phone, it must have full manual control and a one inch minimum sensor. For photography or my attempts at creating art, I want a camera. For snappies of cute cats and dogs and kids and birthday parties, sure, a cell phone or an auto only small sensor camera will do about equally. Yes, there is an ap for simulated manual control for an iPhone and it is about as cumbersome and painful to use as brushing my teeth with a pair of pliers. Maybe they should make a camera with a phone in it rather than a phone with a camera in it.

Edit to add, when I push the shutter button I want the camera or whatever it is to fire--NOW--not when it decides to or if it thinks it is focused or whatever it may wish as I also will not look at photos of fish tails (or tales :wink: ), not mine and certainly not anyone else's fish tail photos. With my Nauticam, I can back button focus/prefocus and when I push the shutter button there is no shutter/focus lag. Once you go Back Button, you cannot go back :wink:.

An honest question as I

An honest question as I sit here holding my iPhone, how would I run strobes? I have no interest in video, will not take video and will not look at anyone else's videos. I do photography only and I need strobes? Did I mention I hate videos and especially other peoples videos? I do not even know how to take a video with my Nauticam, I guess it can do it -----. I have some GoPros but not sure where I tossed them aside.

I agree somewhat with the linked thread that by the time a stable tray is added sufficient to carry two strobes the form factor of the TG6/7 is larger than my mirrorless Nautican NA6400. And very much less capable. But I am still of the mind that a Pro level Tough camera is needed to move beyond cell phone snappies. Cell phones do take good pictures, whatever good is. But as soon as I want something different than what the cell phone thinks I should want, we have a disagreement, that is me and the cell phone and probably the same with an auto only TG.

I guess I am splitting the fence, I think there is a niche for a Tough type camera but to differentiate it's capabilities from that of a cell phone, it must have full manual control and a one inch minimum sensor. For photography or my attempts at creating art, I want a camera. For snappies of cute cats and dogs and kids and birthday parties, sure, a cell phone or an auto only small sensor camera will do about equally. Yes, there is an ap for simulated manual control for an iPhone and it is about as cumbersome and painful to use as brushing my teeth with a pair of pliers. Maybe they should make a camera with a phone in it rather than a phone with a camera in it.

Edit to add, when I push the shutter button I want the camera or whatever it is to fire--NOW--not when it decides to or if it thinks it is focused or whatever it may wish as I also will not look at photos of fish tails (or tales :wink: ), not mine and certainly not anyone else's fish tail photos. With my Nauticam, I can back button focus/prefocus and when I push the shutter button there is no shutter/focus lag. Once you go Back Button, you cannot go back :wink:.
If you like to shoot good quality stills while scuba diving, then TG-series are not you camera. The image quality is poor and shooting TG's in A-mode is a freaking rocket science. Upgrading to Sony A6000 won't cost you much but the boost in quality will be huge. I've said this many times: TG's are nice only for snorkeling and similar activities, like tubing down the river. If you need to buy a housing and strobes for a TG, you do not need a TG.

I skimmed until I saw interval shooting listed
Does anyone have one yet and could answer some questions?

I skimmed until I saw interval shooting listed
Does anyone have one yet and could answer some questions?
The TG-6 does fine on interval shooting. The TG-7 is likely at least as good.
From Unlocking the Power of Timer on the Olympus Tough TG-6 | Camlitic

Customizing the timer settings on Olympus Tough TG-6​

Customizing the timer settings on an Olympus Tough TG-6 can be a great way to optimize your photographic experiences. With this camera, you have multiple options when it comes to setting and using timers. If you are capturing stills or shooting video, you can choose from several modes like delayed release (2 sec., 10 sec.), interval recording (1 shot per 1 min.-99 hrs), as well as self-timer mode which takes up to 12 shots with intervals of 0.5 - 30 seconds between each exposure – perfect for getting all members in that family portrait! Additionally, there is a Live Composite feature where theTG‑6 will automatically take pictures at regular intervals over any length period and then combine them into one single image--allowing for stunning nightscape photos with minimal effort! So if you’re looking for ways to get creative or just set up some hassle free shots–consider tapping into these amazing timer features on your Olympus Tough TG‑6 today!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom