WOO HOO, TG7 announced!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's awesome!

And why would an above water photographer need a waterproof camera?
My toddler who has discovered the toilet. Everything gets dunked in the toilet. My big cameras are in the office thats under lock and key but we keep the TG out for quick family pics and playground play time.

Rain, snow for starters..
I take my TG-6 kayaking sans housing.. and often will toss it in my purse or backpack when traveling. No worries if there's a photo to be shot and moisture around. Heck, even around the house shooting flowers in the early morning with dew...
Most of that is covered by weatherproofing of many modern cameras and lenses. Also, your iPhone will survive such elements with ease.

Bottom line is, with such insignificant (IMHO only cosmetic) changes it is unlikely that TG-6 owners will rush to replace their cameras with TG-7. This camera will be bought by the newbies to waterproof camera market and by those TG-5/6 owners who's cameras died or were lost. And this makes me worry for the fate of the whole Olympus Tough line of cameras. TG-6 was released in July 2019, 4 years ago. We've seen the same kind of cosmetic upgrades when TG-6 replaced TG-5, but it only took 2 years for this change to happen. And before that, it took 2 years for the last major upgrade in this product line, that is, from TG-4 to TG-5. So it seems to me the current owners of the company lost their interest in "toughs" and do not invest much on the upgrades.

Bottom line is, with such insignificant (IMHO only cosmetic) changes it is unlikely that TG-6 owners will rush to replace their cameras with TG-7. This camera will be bought by the newbies to waterproof camera market and by those TG-5/6 owners who's cameras died or were lost. And this makes me worry for the fate of the whole Olympus Tough line of cameras. TG-6 was released in July 2019, 4 years ago. We've seen the same kind of cosmetic upgrades when TG-6 replaced TG-5, but it only took 2 years for this change to happen. And before that, it took 2 years for the last major upgrade in this product line, that is, from TG-4 to TG-5. So it seems to me the current owners of the company lost their interest in "toughs" and do not invest much on the upgrades.

I see it differently. OM is rebranding and regrouping. They improved the TG6 to some extent, not for diving per se but they did. The fact that they did, it tells me that they are alive and moving forward. Don't forget that they came out with a most fantastic lens not too long ago, something that is unique to OM line.

I see it differently. OM is rebranding and regrouping. They improved the TG6 to some extent, not for diving per se but they did. The fact that they did, it tells me that they are alive and moving forward. Don't forget that they came out with a most fantastic lens not too long ago, something that is unique to OM line.
I am not worried about the OMs but I am convinced their attitude toward the TGs is "milk this cow while she's still alive but let's not buy another one when she dies".

I am not worried about the OMs but I am convinced their attitude toward the TGs is "milk this cow while she's still alive but let's not buy another one when she dies".

I don't believe, or hope not, they are that stupid to neglect this most popular camera in their line. They may milk it for a while to get $$$ but I don't believe that they will do that for a long time until it dies. They need to keep people interested and buying it and not let other companies catch up with it.

This summer, they just introduced a new medical housing for this camera line... I don't think this is even close to the end of the line for these cameras.

BTW, medical photography is a very interesting specialty.

I don't believe, or hope not, they are that stupid to neglect this most popular camera in their line. They may milk it for a while to get $$$ but I don't believe that they will do that for a long time until it dies. They need to keep people interested and buying it and not let other companies catch up with it.
Here is the evidence right here on SB that competition with iPhones is tough even underwater: Alternative to Olympus TG6

Back
Top Bottom