work as a divemaster in the Galapagos Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasue2

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious...

How hard is it to get work as a divemaster in the Galapagos Islands? Do they only hire locals or can foreigners also work there? Do you need a visa?

Whats it like to live out there?

If anyone is doing this or has done it, I'd be really interested to hear about it.. it has to be the ultimate dream job!!

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you must be Ecuadorian. I know that's the case for the company I work for which has two ships doing dive travel to the Galapagos.

Our guides in September were a native of Ecuador, and an Englishman with permanent residency status. They indicated that the dive guide community on the islands is pretty small, numbering around 50 by their estimates.

When I was there, on the ship (Santa Cruz, not a dive boat) and the Dive Op (Scuba Iguana), almost all the guides were Ecuadorians (I believe to be a divemaster, you need to be a park-licensed guide as well). Come to think of it, I did not meet a single dive professional who wasn't Ecuadorian when I was there. The majority were also native Puerto Ayorans, the children of colonists who came to the islands no more than 50 years ago.

I can also vouch for the small size of the naturalist guide/dive worker community. I believe there may be about 6 dive ops in the islands, of which only 2-3 look like they might be quality ops.

There are a few non-Ecuadorians who have residency, but I'd imagine it's pretty difficult. Pierre Constant's book on the Galapagos discusses the guide industry on the islands, I'd recommend it as a starting point. In fact, his contact info is in the book, so you may just want to ask him. Asking SCUBA Iguana might be helpful too.

Sorry if I sound like I'm raining on your parade. It'll be difficult, but maybe not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom