working in utilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angie

New
Reaction score
I appreciate that dive jobs are few and far between but does anyone know how easy it would be for me to work for free in return for continuing with my dive qualifications? I would be prepared to do pretty much anything (within reason!) in return for doing some further courses. Is that a possibility in Utilla or am I setting my hopes too high? Is it possible to arrange before arrival or is it really a cases of getting over there and seeing what there is to be had? If not, how much would it cost to do the courses and live over there? What is accommodation like -I'd be quite happy with a hut on the beach for a few months - what would that cost? I have about 60 dives, my advanced and speciality courses - mixed ssi and padi - and want to do my first aid and masters and have no time restrictions. Would anyone advise learning spanish before going or is it more useful in south america than central?

hi Angie,
I just came back from utila a couple of months ago so I'll try and answer some of your questions;
On Utila you have to pay for your courses AND work for free, doing your DM-course that is (there are packages possible with rescue course and mfa included) BUT living is very cheap and after you finish the course requirements you get paid to work (small amounts of money of course) on occasion, if they need you and are happy about how you work. Anyhow the DM-courses are a good deal because you get to dive all you want and take a lot of time to get your requirements done etc. I think I paid 550 USD and the prices are standardized for the whole Island. I would recommend to take a good hard look at the school before you decide to do a course anywhere. There are a lot of crappy schools on the island, but fortunately there are also a few good ones. I did my course at the Bay Islands College of Diving, and I was very happy about that. They take good care of their stuff and have some very experienced instructors on their staff.
You could send an email in advance, but I just showed up and that was fine. I think it works like that for all the schools. Okay, so renting a hut on the beach; hmm, I rented a small appartment on the hill for USD250 a month. If you don't mind sharing a room you can rent for around USD 100 a month. Or you could opt for your own room and share facilities, so many options; it's up to you.
Everybody on Utila speaks English and Spanish, it's always a good idea to learn spanish of course, but you won't need it on the island itself.
Okay, i wish you the best of luck and heaps of fun! I wish it was me going all over again! Let me know how things worked out later. Regards Subq

thanks, that's cool - how long do you think I would need to be prepared to stay for in order to get my masters? I ahd planned to stay for a few months and then travel around s. america for a couple. Can you tell me how you found your small appartment on the hill? I would much rather get it organised before going out there. Do you know what the situation is re working visas? Although I've done lots of travelling already I've never actually been on my own - do you think Utilla is a good place for me to do that - both to meet people and safety-wise? I appreciate your advise.

hi angie,

I did mine in six weeks. I think I would take a bit more if you could. Just to take iteasy. I don't really know about visas and stuff, i didn't have any problems, just renew your ordinary visa every 30 days and leave the country every 6 months or so, something like that. My house on the hill was rented through Annie at Countryside, thats about all you need to know. Dont worry about getting everything done before going. You can always get a room for the first few nights at some hotel. It's a small island so everybody knows everything and anybody will help you find something (if you ask nice-haha). Safetywise its okay. Just take care like you would in any other town. Men are always men and stupid people are found anywhere in the world. I think that for somebody traveling alone for the first time its a great spot. Meeting people is easy as one two three and bcause its all divers and island folk the atmosphere is pretty relaxed. I hope you know all you need to and if not just ask.
subq
oh, one thing be sure that if you would have to stay overnight in a city on the mainland like san pedro or la ceiba that you have a plan. I didn't and san pedro can be pretty nasty. Good luck

Hello, me again.
Do you know anything about Cross-Creek Dive Centre cos they offer 2 mnths accommodation and all my courses up to assistant instructor level for $774? The accommodation is staying in their Divemaster House in private rooms with shared bath. Any idea what it's like location wise etc? What was your apartment like cos i have a contact that can arrange that for me before I arrive if I want. Did you share it or did you have the place to yourself? Are you familiar with Andy Phillips or Utila Dive Centre cos he's been really helpful? How much money do you think I would need for food and drink for 2 mnths (baring in mind I drink more than most!)

Angie if you would like to send me a private message I can answer almost any question you may have, I lived and worked on Utila for 8 months and have a fair bit of knowledge about the training and living on the island, trust me their as immence differences in the different programs don't get all gaga about the little freebees thrown your way. I will only give what I know from fact or having personally witnessed.I do not represent any shop on the island I am just trying to help you get good training and will provide some contacts if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom