Working towards DIR config. Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know this is a dangerous question to ask, but...

How about temporarily using the long hose with my AirSource (AirII style backup)? I'm trying to visualize it, and it seems like they wouldn't get tangled up. I would do this until I can get a new reg.

Hi Aaron,

I too had a Pro QD during my gradual changeover. I started out using a 7 footer and looping it under the front right lower edge of the BC before routing it across my chest. This worked pretty well, but every once in a while it would pop out.

I ended up switching to a 5 footer, which fits me fine. Many folks say a 5 footer is too short -- you just need to try it for yourself.

Using the long hose with the AirII temporarily -- since you are committed to buying the long hose anyway, buy one and set it up on dry land to see how it feels. The AirII is not much more obtrusive than the regular inflator hose, so I would think it would work.

As for how much to expect for the QD....one reference point is that my LDS (East Coast Divers) is selling their QD+ rental models from last year for $250. That being said, you never know what to expect from E Bay. Sometimes people do really stupid things when buying used gear.

Hope this helps.

-Chris

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
How about temporarily using the long hose with my AirSource (AirII style backup)? I'm trying to visualize it, and it seems like they wouldn't get tangled up. I would do this until I can get a new reg.

Are you referring to having the airII rather than the bungied backup?

Here's the problems I envision:

1) You better get _really_ comfortable with the air share, 'cause you aren't going to be able to go to your secondary while you're deploying the long hose... since the inflator'll end up crossing over where the long hose was.

2) You loose the ability to use your inflator to dump air on your ascent, and you have to rely on your dump valve.

Spectre once bubbled...

Are you referring to having the airII rather than the bungied backup?

Only temporarily until I get a new regulator with an octopus.

1) You better get _really_ comfortable with the air share, 'cause you aren't going to be able to go to your secondary while you're deploying the long hose... since the inflator'll end up crossing over where the long hose was.

This was the type of thing I was looking for. I'll have to try it on dry land and see how it works. I don't imagine I will be using this type of config for long, just until I can afford a new regulator in the summer.

2) You loose the ability to use your inflator to dump air on your ascent, and you have to rely on your dump valve.

Not really. You can still dump with the AirII. I was trained on this type of equipment config, so am reasonably comfortable with it.

Aaron...sorry for swiping your thread (temporarily)...thanks to Spectre...we're all kosher now...I (believe it or not) wasn't setting out to hijack anything...just wanted a few questions answered....o.k. I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled discussion.....

An explanation: I split out Big-T's questions into his own thread and let him know. I guess he's got a bit of a guilty conscience or something! For those looking, his new thread is: Long Hose & Regs for DIR-F -Spectre

IMO, although there is a slim chance you might get it wrapped up, I think a long hose with a AII is safer than a short hose an AII.

Just get a real backup as soon as you can afford.

Don't risk aggregating an knee inury by switching you fins, stick with what you have for now, maybe at some point you could try a bunch of different types in a pool.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
The 5 fter sounds like a good plan to me.

How much should I expect for my SeaQuest Pro QD (not Pro QD+) on ebay? $250-300?

I used the 5 foot hose wrapped around my neck for a while and loved it. No problem using an AIR II with it.

What size ProQD do you wear? Might be able to help you out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom