Working towards DIR config. Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...That nobody's suggested a 6 foot hose yet.

I'm 6'1" and 220... I found the five footer a bit too short. It came under my right armpit, across my chest, around my neck, and was routed properly, but I found that it was a bit snug under the armpit. A seven footer on me requires the routing under a light, hard pocket, knife, or a "tuck" into the webbing... But not by much.

I found the six footer to hang nicely under my armpit without having to be tucked. It stayed out of the way nicely.

Bottom line: If you can't tuck, and you're not larger than I am, then a seven footer might be a bit long for you in a jacket. It's either going to be a five or six foot hose, depending on your size, that will be most comfortable.

That said, my girlfriend, who is 5'2" and 97 lbs soaking wet chooses to dive "untucked" with a six footer too.

SeaJay once bubbled...
...That nobody's suggested a 6 foot hose yet.

I'm 6'1" and 220... I found the five footer a bit too short.

While I'm only 5' 11" and 205 I also found the five foot too short, I felt like the reg was always being pulled out of my mouth. I changed it after two dives to a six foot that works much better.

If anybody want's a good deal on a 5 foot hose with only two dives on it PM me.

Mike

Oh yeah, I almost forget, the 22” backup hose was too short also, a 24” worked much better. Perhaps the 5’ and 22” hoses work better with doubles, but I am diving either my HP 120 or rental aluminum 80 singles.

MikeS once bubbled...

Oh yeah, I almost forget, the 22” backup hose was too short also, a 24” worked much better. Perhaps the 5’ and 22” hoses work better with doubles, but I am diving either my HP 120 or rental aluminum 80 singles.

You know what? Now that you mention it, I found the same problem with my backup reg hose. 24" also cured the problem.

And like you, I'm diving singles... AL80's for me, since I'm diving wet all the time...

Interesting trend here. :)

5'8, 177#

Short legs, long torso, wide a$$ and shoulders. I dive a single, and the 5' pulls too much. I don't have a canister, so I tuck the 7 footer under the "knife" (or whatever that stub with a handle is really called).

The 22' is perfect for the second... maybe I have my necklace too long? But it all fits me OK. 8 dives - more this weekend...we'll see.

K

MikeS once bubbled...
Oh yeah, I almost forget, the 22” backup hose was too short also, a 24” worked much better......
Great info, I had actually thought about asking this very question a few days ago and never did.
The standard is the 22" hose, but that seems a bit to short to me. I definitly order the 24" now.

Another quick question; What size bungee cord is recommended for the second? I'm thinking 3/16"....

Thanks guys

Mo2vation once bubbled...

The 22' is perfect for the second... maybe I have my necklace too long?
K

I saw a neat trick once...

A certain GUE instructor was able to reach down with his mouth and pick up his secondary... Without using his hands. Trying to do that will definitely tell you whether or not your necklace is too long!

I found that when the necklace was too short, it interfered with my primary and would not allow me to look down properly.

So somewhere in-between you should find a happy medium on the necklace length.

I found that the 22" hose was too short because it would not allow me a full range of motion with my head when I was using my backup. It also kept the backup over my right shoulder D-ring, rather than allow it to hang under my chin like it was supposed to.

The extra 2" did it for me. (No jokes, now...) :wink:

Bottom line -- you really need to try the hoses for yourself to get the right size. There are many variables -- body size and type, tank positioning, first stage positioning and hose angle, etc., etc., etc. I am 6'5" and 260 and use a five footer -- go figure. The best idea is probably to order 5, 6 and 7 footers simultaneously from Extreme Exposure, who will take them back no questions asked. Try them for yourself. I found a 6 footer to have WAY too much slack, but too short for tucking in your harness belt/cumberbund.

YMMV -- good luck!

I just bought hoses for the DIR config. too. The long one is 7' - the only one available. The shorth looks very long to me. I just measured it and it's 30" long. That is surely too much?

I havn't had oppotunitites to try it out yet, as my first stage replacement still havn't arived! :rolleyes:

I would personally go with the 7' hose. The extra length should not be a problem.

I've found that the 22" backup hose works fine when diving singles. For doubles, I need something a little longer. I don't remember exactly what length I use for doubles but, it's probably in the neighborhood of 26". All the other hose lengths seem to work great for both.

Well, I just got my 7 foot hose yesterday...like a few people in this thread, I am diving a singles AL80 poodle jacket, and I have no can light....

the little lady looked at me stragely yesterday when I told her to "hold this" while I put on my jacket and spun myself around the hose. It isn't tight, and there doesn't seem to be much slack anywhere...it will just be a little more snug in my wetsuit. I like the 7 footer....I am 6' 240lbs, but have wide A$$ shoulders. I almost oredered a 6 footer, but I said heck with it and went all the way...glad I did I don't think the 6 footer would be enough hose.

Back
Top Bottom