World Record Dive to a Ship Wreck, May 17th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wonder what the deco time will be.

Actually, Ross Hemingway the man who did V-Planner is coming as well. He did support on the Princess dive as well.

Dennis, Please post some pics if you can.

Ok just a curiousity question.

Any guesses to what mix he will be breathing at the bottom?

On May 17th Rob LaLumiere will be attempting to break his own World Record dive of 193M on the USS Cooper in 2005, by diving on the Japanese destroyer Shimakaze in Ormoc Bay here in the Philippines. She lies in 250M of water and will be the deepest dive ever made by a scuba diver to sunken wreckage. Rob will be placing a memorial plaque on her decks to honor those who went down with the ship while following their orders from the Emperor.

The event will encompass a week of training dives before the record attempt and also one day will be set aside for the families and friends of the lost navy men to cast a wreath onto the water over the site allowing them to honor their service.

At least two team members are contributors to ScubaBoard.

1.jpg

Rob Lalumiere Dive To Shimakaze

I'll be joining the team to do the underwater photography.

So what part of this trek are you involved in?

What constitutes a wreck dive though?

Seeing it? Touching it? Penetrating it?

Any or all as a matter of fact.

Dennis, Please post some pics if you can.

Ok just a curiousity question.

Any guesses to what mix he will be breathing at the bottom?

I'll try to post some pics but Rob's company will have the rights to the photos, I will have them on my website though, it's just about ready. I will post his web page after the dive.

The mix may change. There is a full gas mixing system on the Rags II, the boat he will be using as well as the boat we used on the Princess dive, so the mix may change. I'm not sure if he has decided on them yet.

So what part of this trek are you involved in?

I'm just doing the descent, ascent and deco photos. I'll only be diving to 50 or maybe 60M. Frankly, even the Princess dive where the deepest dive one of our teams did was 126M is too deep for me.

These dives are a lot of fun though and you meet some great people.

I think, my opinion, is that touching the wreck constitutes a wreck dive. Rob will be laying a plaque on the deck. I don't know what the bottom time may be but it's awfully deep.

Enjoy the experience you will be one of few. Be safe and post any photos that you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom