Worst Jumps ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squalus

The Good Humor Guy
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok being a paratrooper, I thought I would see if any of the past troopers had any stories to tell.

All the ones I can't do - that would be all of them. The Army won't send me to Jump School unless I'm going to the 82nd. CSS guys don't get the opportunity to go to the hooah schools like the combat arms guys.

I remember my first time jumping, I was the first poor soul out the door! I remember landing like a sack of rocks but had my feet and knees together. Hurt like hell and I thought I was dead for a second then checked myself over and realized I was still alive and had to pack my chute up and run the 2 clicks back to the RP at Friar DZ!

Once at Bragg (mid-'80's!) we loaded into the C-130 at Green Ramp and then found out we had a Canadian flight crew. Everyone went "Uh-oh"... I had no idea why, but I started getting a bad feeling about this...

Those guys were crazy!! I caught a glimpse out the aircraft once about mid-flight, and I swear I was looking up to see the tops of the pines...

I liked being Airborne, for all the 1-1/2 years I was on Status. It was just that jumping-out-of-perfectly-good-airplanes-while-in-flight part that I hated...

All the troops always looked like they were eager for the thrill of a jump. I obviously never looked that way. One soldier once glanced over at me and said, "Sir, you don't look so good." I think I've got a photo somewhere. No, I didn't look so good...

--Marek

Marek K:
Once at Bragg (mid-'80's!) we loaded into the C-130 at Green Ramp and then found out we had a Canadian flight crew. Everyone went "Uh-oh"... I had no idea why, but I started getting a bad feeling about this...
--Marek

:rofl: :D :D

Hmmm would tell you about the chicken coup incident but, that would be just re-writing it.

Nothing like doing an AWADS jump encompassed with an in-flight rig. AWADS is used when the weather is not agreeing with us i.e. low flying clouds and the flight crew has to rely on instruments to tell them when to let us out of the aircraft. The flight was great, could swear the pilot was menopausing due to the fact that he would turn up the heat then, turn on the AC at full blast (they wonder why we always leave a few suprises ie air sickness bags, tucked away in the crevices). In-flight rigging is a feat all to itself, you put your chute and gear on while in flight. The feeling is not the same as when you do at the rigging shed at green ramp, your always thinking "I left something undone". The safety check does not feel thorough at all, then you get the time warnings. So we're all hooked up to the anchor cable and listening the the hydraulics as the pilot adjusts altitude and gets on what you hope is the right altitude (you always worry about this unless your in the last aircraft, for fear of becoming a nose ornament on the trail aircraft because they are flying AWADS). The doors open and all those nice clouds come rolling in like a horror movie. You really begin to worry that they are at the right altitude. Standing in the door watching the clouds roll in and waiting for that moment the green light comes on. The fear and anxiety that is swelling inside is unbearable, then the light turns green and you get the "GO" and step out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom