Worth bringing can light on tropical trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
Daytime in clear water the light can just be seen on the ground (no beam can be seen however) you might PM TSandM and ask her opinion as she used hers on their trip to Maui a couple weeks ago - I brought my 10watt along (day time) but you can't even see it on the ground (I use it mostly for looking into holes etc..)

Where was it you were going again? :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Fiji, Tim. Fiji.

It's actually a trip to Kauai that inspired me to finally take the plunge and buy an HID in the first place. I was using my trusty old C8 to peek into nooks and crannies over there about 9 months ago and the DM had an HID light for the same purpose. Her light made my, formerly adequate seeming c8 look truly pathetic by comparison. You could just see way, way more stuff with her light.

I went on a Blackbeard trip in May and kicked myself the whole time for not bringing my can light.

It's actually a trip to Kauai that inspired me to finally take the plunge and buy an HID in the first place. I was using my trusty old C8 to peek into nooks and crannies over there about 9 months ago and the DM had an HID light for the same purpose. Her light made my, formerly adequate seeming c8 look truly pathetic by comparison. You could just see way, way more stuff with her light.

For that purpose I'd definitely take it. My 10 watt HID looked like a pen light next to TSandM's 21watt. They are great for spotting little critters during the day and bringing out the color in everything...

Have a great trip to oregon ... I mean FIJI!!!

Aloha, Tim

I've done two tropical trips with the flamethrower, and it will be with me forevermore. Even in fairly well lit water, the light brings out the true colors. Using it on uneven surfaces brings out the irregularities, and has helped me spot small critters -- the guide on one of our boat dives on this last trip was most impressed at me spotting small nudibranchs and picking up the jeweled frogfish before it was pointed out to me. (It was the light that found them.) You CAN actually use it to signal, if your buddy is attentive (which Tim is). I thought it was well worth the minimal hassle of bringing it along -- although I will say that the Salvo lights are neither terribly bulky nor terribly fragile, which makes it less nerve-wracking to travel with them.

Yes . . .(if need be, use your hand/fingers as a diffuser grating).

The problem with that is that it's not enough for daytime, and too much for night.

It partly depends on the voltage is where you're going. I took my light along on a trip to Hawaii (I live in Thailand), and couldn't use it because the voltage of the recharger/power supply didn't match the available voltage out of the wall outlet. Tried to buy a power supply with the correct pins and voltage, but it melted overnight! (Happily it was only the power supply that fizzed; the battery was undamaged.) Some resorts and LOBs have both 120 and 240 voltage power outlets available for people from different parts of the world. It would be worth checking out whether this is the case with your dive op (Fiji standard voltage is 240v.)

It would be a lot easier to give you an opinion if you told us where you were going!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom