Worth bringing equip to an overnight liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm hitting NZ/AUS in February on a 2 week long trip. Near the tail end of it, we're scheduled to do an overnight on a liveaboard with something like 5 or 6 dives over 2 days. Now the question is, is it worth it to bring any of our own equipment? I'll definitely be packing a mask and snorkel for any other time I can hit the beaches, but it's more about the regs. My regs are old (USD conshelf SE2's) and frankly I really don't know if they would be any better than rentals. It's also a question of space, since this is most definitely a non-dive-dedicated trip unfortunately. I'm debating fins, but that's more for any snorkeling I can do outside of these 2 days as I really have no care what fins I use as long as I'm submerged. I don't have a working computer yet, so that's not an issue although if I get one, I'll be planning to bring it definitely. Any other thoughts would be great, thanks guys.

I always bring my own regulator and computer, also my own mask; even if its only 2 dives.

Just rent the stuff you need. Perform comprehensive functional tests on the reg and BCD as soon as you take possession of the rental equipment. This gives the dive op time to repair any problems or exchange the equipment for fully functioning gear.

Based on what you've written, it sounds like you don't do a lot of diving. If that's the case, then the larger concern should be whether your basic dive skills are up to speed and you are physically fit to dive.

I suppose, if you felt so inclined, you could get your reg setup serviced and checked out prior to the trip. However, then you'd have to schlep it with you on your trip. Ask about rental gear prices and the condition of the rental gear on the NZ/AUS liveaboard. See how much extra room you have in your luggage. Make a determination at that point.

Reactions: Jax
we just got cert'd in July, and Ive been on 7 other dives since then (outside the req'd certification dives), with 3 of them in the last month. The reg's are old in age, but serviced about a month and a half ago. They were bought used from craiglist (along with the rest of my gear minus mask/snorkel). I also do a fair amount of freediving so I'm not too worried about fitness.So it seems like a general consensus is bring a computer, and compare reg rental prices vs carrying one with you?

Having a dive computer can be very convenient for conducting multi-day repetitive dives -- the type of diving one would do on a liveaboard.
Computers are also quite handy for tracking nitrogen-loading and maximizing bottom time on multi-level dives (vs. using tables).

If you have your own computer and intend to use a computer while diving, it makes sense to bring it along with you.
It's nice to be able to refer to/operate a computer with which you are familiar. This decreases the possibility of misinterpreting the display or making a mistake with one of the settings. FWIW, it's possible (although unlikely) that the rental dive computer is difficult to operate. Typically, rental computers are robust, simple to use, and auto-activate upon contact with water. YMMV.

If you don't already own a computer, it's up to you to decide whether it makes sense to purchase one before your trip. You may want to inquire about computer rental prices as well.

Check with the boat, see what computers they rent.

Likely the "hockey puck" style, and even they would be just fine.

Rental gear, especially on a real-deal liveaboard, should be just fine.

I've always hauled my own equipment. Brought it to Spain on a work trip where I made just one dive. Brought it on a work trip to France for a talk and then to South Korea for a conference, and then flew to Jeju Island after the conference. I got precisely zero dives in because a storm rolled in the same time I did, so I flew home the next day (my first round-the-world routing).

I like diving with the equipment I am familiar with, and where I know its service history. That's why I bought my own gear.

Back
Top Bottom