Worth visiting Anilao in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ginkgo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm visiting Anilao for the first time this December for a photo workshop. Now, August, I have a chance to make a last-minute trip to East Asia, and wondered if visiting Anilao made sense. I've never been, but love macro photography.

I emailed Crystal Blue Resort for advice, and two people responded: one basically said that August is fine, and the other said to skip August and come in December.

On guide/photographer Dennis Corpuz's website, there are also two answers: on the same page, it says, "The underwater visibility in Anilao is generally good throughout the year, although June through September can be affected by the rainy season" and also, "Ironically, the monsoon season July to October often has the best underwater visibility due to the constant exchange of water that clears suspended particles, jellyfish and plankton"!

So I guess the diving is probably worse in August than December. And there's a typhoon risk. Is it still worth going? If not Anilao, other good macro alternatives are Bali (dived there before) and Lembeh (never been, and the travel time discourages me).

I would if I could. I say go for it. The diving there is fantastic if you like macro, and it’s relatively easy to get to and from Anilao / Mabini Peninsula. Plus, you should have low season rates and plenty of personalized attention from dive staff…particularly on week days when Manila dive tourists are slaving away. 😊

The current forecast for August looks pretty good as far as weather patterns and tropical development. I mean, it’s going to be hot and humid. There will be showers. Viz will (probably) not be what it is in December…but it will still be great macro diving compared to what most people get a chance to do.

The overall the pattern looks really good compared to some periods I have been there. Most cyclonic developments are going to be east and north of Philippines for the next couple weeks.

Batangas Area 14-Day Forecast

Batangas City, Philippines 14 day weather forecast

NOAA Global Hazards Forecast

Climate Prediction Center - Global Tropical Hazards Outlook

Joint Typhoon Warning Center

https://www.metoc.navy.mil/jtwc/jtwc.html

Good luck, and send pictures. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_7925.jpeg
    IMG_7925.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7926.jpeg
    IMG_7926.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7928.jpeg
    IMG_7928.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 49
I think there is a good chance Centrals is right on weather being more a factor than any specific month for diving in that area. I have been diving in Puerto Galera (just across the strait from Anilao) in June and July and it was very decent diving. I have not been to Anilao in August. My wife and I were in Anilao in February this year, however, and got rain every day…the diving was still great IMHO.

Although August is the most active month for tropical cyclones in the Philippines, and activity reduces significantly in October onward, some of the very worst typhoons have happened in December. Odette is one example. Typhoons in general are most likely to impact northern Luzon and the Eastern Visayas statistically speaking, but a lot of it is just luck of the draw. The current weather pattern for August looks relatively benign. No guarantees you would have good weather, but I would say there is a reasonable chance looking at current models.

Wish I could test my theory with an impromptu dive trip…lol. Hope it works out for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom