Would a multi grip help to reduce camera shake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A hand grip like the one shown is comfortable but will not reduce shakes much. You will need something bigger like a tray with 2 handles to more significantly stabilize the shot.

Sometimes a floating grip makes things worse since you have to constantly remember to keep the camera level or when you're fighting the grip buoyancy it will show up as a series of small "dips" in your footage. I prefer to have my camera/housing (not an Intova) slightly negative for this reason. Of course if I let it go, it's gone - which is why it's on a coiled lanyard with a cable core.

All of the pictured grips are bad solutions, and go to show that the manufacturer either has no real interest in the matter or no clue. They do offer a slightly more comfortable handhold which may help marginally, but place the camera farther away from the axis of almost any wrist movements, so instead of helping they actually amplify the movements. Think levers... To reduce rotational movements along the optical axis you need to place the camera in the center, and the handle(s) away from the camera. This is what you get with the tradiotional tray & handles solution. Mass also helps (inertia), as long as the rig is about neutral.

//LN

Thank you very much to all who responded for the advice. I'm glad I asked rather than buy unnecessary equipment. I think I'll just keep holding the camera with two hands, at least until I'm ready for additional task loading that would come with carrying a tray.

I use the Intova Sport HD Base Tray (single handle), model SP1 BT. You can add an arm and video light later if you want. I tried holding just the camera, but invariably had camera shake issues. The single hand base tray works for me to eliminate shake. They do have a 2-handle model too (Model BTD)
http://www.intova.net/sport-hd-base-tray/

Back
Top Bottom